Holders Eyemouth fall at first hurdle in Border Cup

Coldstream Amateurs 4

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 3:11 pm
Action from Saturday's Border Cup clash between Coldstream Amateurs and Eyemouth Amateurs.
Action from Saturday's Border Cup clash between Coldstream Amateurs and Eyemouth Amateurs.

Eyemouth Amateurs 1

Eyemouth travelled to Coldstream looking to defend the Wright Cup they won last year but fell at the first hurdle.

From the first whistle Coldstream were clearly up for the battle and gave Eyemouth little time on the ball. It was, however, Eyemouth that opened the scoring when Logie went down the left wing and some good hold up play found Daniel Crowe in the box and he finished well.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Eyemouth then had a good claim for a penalty turned down then a good save by Young in the Coldstream goal denied Gillen at point blank range.

From then on Coldstream had the upper hand and their pressure told when a mix-up between Walker and Stobbart allowed striker Waugh to nick in and roll the ball into an empty net.

Not long after a headed clearence by L. Walker sat nicely for Turnbull to hit the ball on the volley as sweet as a nut straight into the top corner.

The second half continued in much the same fashion with Coldstream the more hungry and causing Eyemouth problems on the break.

It wasn’t long before Coldstream netted a third when a good move put Easton through and he rounded Stobbart and squared the ball for Bailey Patterson to have an easy tap in.

Eyemouth struggled to get the ball moving and only created a couple chances in the second half one of which was a cracking effort from distance by Patterson that narrowly flew over the bar.

With 15 minutes remaining Coldstream completed the scoring with Paterson and Crowe making a mess of the clearance allowing the impressive Easton to tap in at the near post.

Hawick Legion 5

Chirnside United 2

Chirnside United got their new season underway with this Border Cup tie at Hawick but there was to be no dream start for new player managers Duncan Morrison and Stevie Shennan.

Hawick Legion drew first blood when Scott Duncan rifled the ball past keeper Morrison from close range following a corner kick.

Liam Lavery then put Legion further ahead after being fed by a David Fraser pass.

Lavery slotted away a third before the interval.

With a minute of the second period gone, Chirnside opened their account when Shennan netted from a free kick and they then put themselves back in the picture by snatching a second again from Shennan who was set-up by Dan Romaines.

Legion however, began to regroup and Callum Hope duly struck away a fourth.

Substitute Simon Philbin then got his name on the scoresheet by beating Chirnside keeper Morrison with a chipped shot.