Historic four goal triumph for Gordon in Sanderson Cup final

Border Amateur Football LeagueSanderson Cup Final at SelkirkHawick Legion Rovers 1-4 Gordon
Border Amateur Football LeagueSanderson Cup Final at SelkirkHawick Legion Rovers 1-4 Gordon

Hawick Legion Rovers 1

Gordon 4

Gordon player/manager Craig Livingston had a big smile on his face at the end of this Sanderson Cup final at Yarrow Park on Friday evening, writes John Slorance.

The former Gala Fairydean and Selkirk ace had every reason to be smiling, for not only had his side won the Sanderson Cup for the first time in the club’s history, he had also became a dad for the first time.

Gordon more than deserved their triumph at the end.

However, recently promoted Gordon had a real battle on their hands in the first half, for Rovers, who were reduced to ten men just past the half hour mark due to the dismissal of Stuart Marshall for hand ball, gave as good as they got.

Livingston explained: “We were very nervous to begin with and it took us time to settle down.

“It ended up being a good win for us though and it was achieved by a great team effort.

“Hawick will feel hard done by in having had a man sent off in the first half but they never gave up and battled hard to the finish.”

With 16 minutes gone the Berwickshire men broke the deadlock when Stuart Ramsay floated over a cross which was headed into the net by Steven Kinghorn.

Rovers equalised 10 minutes later however when Chris Graham sprayed the ball to the feet of Stefan Laidlaw who fired home.

Within minutes Gordon regained their lead. Livingston rounded Kevan Miller and shot goalwards but Rovers defender Stuart Marshall kept out the net bound effort with his hand and was red carded. Alan Jackson slotted away the resultant penalty.

With both sides showing plenty of commitment the action continued thick and fast and in the 60th minute Gordon added to their tally with Jackson notching his second goal of the game. Minutes later Gordon struck again when Gavin Brown swung over a curling effort.

Hawick finished with a late flurry though during which the Gordon keeper, Leighton Henderson, who was playing his last game before hanging up his boots, pulled off an absolutely cracking save of a Luke Cooper shot.

Gordon: L. Henderson, G. Redpath, R. Purves, G. Brown, E. Brown, N. Burrows, S. Ramsay (C. Connor), A. Jackson (R. Chapman), K. Utterson, C. Livinsgton, S. Kinghorn (J. Bell).

Hawick Legion Rovers: K. Miller, S. Marshall, J. Caldwell, J. Dalgleish, C. Dunne (G. Marshall), R. Cairns, P. Cooper, C. Graham (L. Cooper), L. Lawrence, S. Laidlaw (C. Caldwell), J. Shankie (D Hope).