Football: Stow 3 Greenlaw 2

New Greenlaw joint manager Prof Blaikie is promising some new signings in an effort to keep the Berwickshire side in Division A.

Sunday, 13th December 2015, 8:47 am
Prof Blaikie.

Prof and brother George took over at WP Happer Memorial Park after Lawrie Dunn left the club, and watched their new side edged out at Stow.

It leaves them second bottom of Division A, with a fight to avoid relegation on their hands.

But the former Kelso United boss said: “I am planning to use my contacts to bring some players in. Its not easy as a lot of guys are already signed with clubs at this stage of season but I have already spoken to a couple of players who might be available.

“The aim is to stay in Division A this season and then push on and challenge next season.

“We are just getting to know the players but I do think we need to work on their fitness. They looked tired at stages in the first half. But they have it their all and probably deserved a point.”

The game was switched on Saturday morning to Stow Park after Greenlaw’s WP Happer Memorial Park was ruled unplayable.

The change of venue did not affect the first 24 minutes, with four goals scored in a pulsating start in awful conditions.

Greenlaw struck first after just five minutes when William Smillie header from a long throw looped over Stow goalkeeper Tom Kerr.

But the hosts were level just two minutes later as James Runciman latched onto Gass’ superb through ball and fire high past Alan Anderson.

And when new signing Ryan Grant tapped home a Craig Wood cross for a debut goal, it became 2-1 with just ten minutes on the clock.

Stow’s lead lasted longer than Greenlaw’s did, but only by 12 minutes. A handball by James Runciman saw referee Keith Wallace award a free kick, and Lee Hannan’s low effort found the bottom corner.

Referee Wallace intervened again on the half hour, when he adjudged Anderson was fouled by Gass after James Kerr’s high cross found the net.

The second half was a tighter affair, with both sides badly tiring on the heavy park.

Tiredness leads to mistakes and the decisive goal on 61 minutes resulted from poor play at the back by Greenlaw, allowing Gass to slide the ball beyond Anderson.

As the game neared its conclusion, Stow fell further and further back, and required goalkeeper Kerr to help retain their lead.

He firstly saved bravely at the feet of William Smillie before producing a superb injury time block to deny the same player after the otherwise impressive Pritchard missed the ball.

Stow: T. Kerr, B. Runciman, J Kerr (K. Rutherford 63), R. Pritchard, G. Wood, P. Marszalek (C. Riddell 89), R. Grant, C. Wood, G. Gass, J. Runciman, S. Hunter.

Greenlaw: A. Anderson, L. Hannan, J. Thomson, R. Smillie, W. Smillie, S. Bonnington, C. Black, J. Ngoa (R. Weymss 78), A. Oldham (T. Hume 63), R. Beveridge, J. Hogarth.