Organisers of the Berwick Charities Cup are desperately looking for sides to play in this year’s competition.
Secretary Les Chappell confirmed this week that so far only two teams had officially entered the 2015 event, and unless more are forthcoming a decision may have to be taken to cancel it.
“A few teams have said they will play,” said Chappell, “but so far they haven’t put in an official entry.”
The closing date for entries was originally set for this weekend (April 18), but in view of the lack of numbers the deadline may be extended.
All entries must be submitted to Chappell at 26 Ladywell Road, Tweedmouth in Berwick.
The entry fee is £25 per team and all players must be aged 16 or over to participate.
As its name suggests, the Charities Cup is an annual football competition, played on The Stanks at Berwick, which each year raises thousands of pounds for local good causes.
“With only two entries so far we desperately need more teams to enter,” said Chappell, “and we would urge them to do so sooner, rather than later so we can make the draw.”