East Stirling 0-4 Berwick Rangers

East Stirlingshire V Berwick Rangers at Ochilview 19/12/15 berwick go 3-0 up
East Stirlingshire V Berwick Rangers at Ochilview 19/12/15 berwick go 3-0 up

Berwick Rangers hauled themselves off the foot of the Scottish Second Division after winning their bottom of the table clash against East Stirling.

Rangers, who had missed an opportunity to climb the table in midweek when they lost another basement clash against Arbroath, recorded the first win under new manager John Coughlin to leapfrog their hosts into ninth.

Finn Graham scored twice in the first half and Dwayne Coultress and Darren Lavery added two more in the second as the Tweedsiders halted a run of six successive league defeats.

Berwick made a bright start and following a succession of corners, Robert Wilson headed over.

Darren Lavery and David Morris then both shot wide before Morris lobbed the ball into the Shire net after 25 minutes, only for the effort to be ruled out by the referee for offside.

However, just a minute later a good move from Rangers saw Dwayne Coultress play in Michael McKenna, and he cut the ball back for Graham to open the scoring with a low shot.

Just a few minutes after that Ewan McNeil tried his luck from distance, but his effort was too high.

Graham then doubled his and Berwick’s lead after 37 minutes when he picked the ball up 30 yards out and his hopeful shot somehow managed to find its way into the net.

And Graham was in the thick of the action again before half-time when he managed to find Mckenna, but his shot drifted over the top and at half-time it remained 0-2.

In the second half captain Jonny Fairbairn headed over from a Morris free kick, before Morris himself had a shot from point blank range saved by home keeper Dolan.

Up to this stage it had been all Berwick, but two corners in quick succession saw Shire twice hit the woodwork.

It was a let-off for Coughlin’s side, and they responded with McKenna going close at the other end, his shot from close in being blocked by Dolan’s legs.

However, the added a third goal to effectively kill the game, Coultress providing the finishing touch after 71 minutes to a good build-up involving Lavery and Morris.

Late in the game Berwick fullback Calum Crane shot straight at Dolan before Lavery netted a fourth for Berwick in the 88th minute, heading in a corner from Coultress.

Shire tried to counter in injury time with Chris Townsley attempting a long range effort, but Kevin Walker, who had a relatively quiet afternoon, safely tipped it over.

Meanwhile. on the transfer front, Berwick have signed 18 year-old Greenock Morton midfielder Dylan Stevenson on an emergency loan.

Stevenson has featured in three league games for Morton so far this season

The deal will run until late January with an option to extend at any time during the Transfer Window.

Meanwhile, Ross Graham is moving on from the club.