Duns 4-1 Heriot Watt University

Duns maintained their unbeaten erecord so far this season with a well deserved victory over Heriot Watt University.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 4:42 pm
Duns 4 Heriot-Watt University 1
Duns 4 Heriot-Watt University 1 EOS

The Students’ cause was not helped by having two players sent off by referee Hanlon in the second half allowing Duns to turn on the style to record first ever home league victory over the University side.

However, Duns supporters had to suffer a turgid first half where the Dingers again went behind early on only to huff and puff to go in at the interval happy to see the end of the first 45 minutes.

After coach Colin Gracey took the red and black paint of the home dressing room wall at the interval the home side reemerged as a different outfit to cruise to vistory and go top of the league.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Duns started the game in a positive fashion and should nhave scored after just five minutes when Michael Robinson was through with just the keeper to beat but his effort was blocked by the keeper and cleared.

The Dingers were made to pay for this just a minute later when the Students broke the deadlock. Duns full-back Walker was caught in possession sand the Unuiversity winger raced to the byline and cut the ball back for ???????? to hammer the ball home.

Although they did have a fair share of the possesion Duns failed to create an opening until they levelled matters after 33 minutes, Gary Waddell beating the offside trap to fire home from 12 yards.

Two minutes later home ‘keeper Philip Smith came to the rescue with a great save low to his right, the loose ball was fired into the net but ruled offside.

Five minutes into ther second half Des Chisholm was brought down in the box when he was about to score, the outcome being a red card for the defender and a goal from the penalty spot by Stevie Shennan.

Four minutes later Michael Robinson broke clear of his marker and chipped the ‘keeper to put the home side 3-1 up. The visitors were then reduced to nine men when a second yellow card was shown for a late tackle.

On 77 minutes Duns increased their lead when a super diagonal pass from James Brydon set Mark Weatherburn free and his low cross into the box was turned into the net for an own goal to complete the scoring.

Duns: Smith, Ainslie, Walker (Weatherburn) McHoul, Windram, J. Brydon, Waddell, Tait (McGregor) Robinson, Shennan, Chisholm.