Cup win for Berwick boys

editorial image

Ellington 3-4 Berwick Juns

Berwick travelled to Wallsend for this Pinpoint Challenge Cup Final clash and despite the atrocious weather conditions, and a remarkable comeback from Ellington, came away victorious and cup winners.

After a pretty even opening five minutes Berwick took control of the match and were soon rewarded with the opening goal,a speculative 30 yard lob from centre half Max Dulzak was tipped onto the bar by the keeper only to rebound into the path of striker Craig Bell to tap home.

This was soon followed by number two for the striker when his cross from the left wing was fumbled into the net by the Ellington keeper,

Berwick then made it 3-0 when a great move from strikers Bell and Amers saw right winger Daniel Lowe score a with a great strike into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Berwick were now dominating and the result seemed a forgone conclusion but this was soon to change as Ellington somehow managed to scramble two goals,both from set pieces, to make the score 3-2 at half time.

Ellington came out for the second half rejuvenated and this showed as they dominated the early stages and were soon on level terms capitalising on some sloppy Berwick defending to make the scoreline 3-3 and set up a tense last 15 minutes for both sets of watching fans and family.

The Ellington equaliser triggered Berwick back into life and when a goalmouth scramble somehow never resulted in a Berwick goal, and winger Adam Deans saw his shot tipped round the post, the game looked set for extra time and possible penalties.

But with three minutes remaining Jamie Robertson, who despite being held back and clearly fouled, somehow managed to get his shot away and see it hit off the post and roll over the line to give Berwick a last gasp 4-3 victory.

It’s back to league action this week for Berwick who with six games remaining are looking to clinch the Division 5 title and make it a league and cup double winning season.