Colts can’t stop scoring after netting another eight goals

Share this article

Duns Ams1

West Barns2

WEST Barns kicked off up the Gavinton slope. The first notable save from either keeper was when Dixon saved sharply from his own teammate Blaikie after a misdirected headed clearance was saved. The first half did not see many chances created with both defences on top, and it remained nil- nil at half time.

Duns started the second half brighter and opened the scoring when youngster Josh Dancaster’s shot was tapped home by Steven Blaikie, at this time Duns were on top and were unlucky not to go two up when Chris Falconer hit the crossbar.

Duns were then reduced to 10 men when Jonny Waugh was sent off after having a disagreement with the referee. The West Barns equaliser came from a quick free kick which was squared to a striker who forced home from close range. Chances were now being made by both teams but it was West Barns who got the winner when a corner fell to the feet of their striker and he fired low into the corner.

Tweeddale Rovers4


GREENLAW travelled to Peebles on Saturday with six first team players missing, mostly through work commitments. Tweeddale put Greenlaw under pressure from the off but the visiting defence, ably marshalled by Alan Redpath, stood firm.

Greenlaw were always dangerous on the break with William Smillie and Adam Smith keeping the home defence on their toes with their pace, and it was the visitors who took the lead when Smillie broke clear and raced into the box, only to be brought down. Lee Hannan blasted the resulting penalty into the back of the net.

Greenlaw started to assert pressure of their own and had a chance to double their lead 10 minutes later, but Andrew Hamilton failed to capitalise and Tweeddale found the back of the visitor’s net to get back on level terms before the break.

Greenlaw struggled in the second half when a couple of their players picked up injuries, but with no options on the bench they had to battle on. The strain began to tell with 15 minutes to go when the visitors started to give away some pointless free kicks around the box, one of which was curled superbly round the Greenlaw wall and past the keeper to give the home side the lead.

Tweeddale got their third soon after when Greenlaw failed to clear their lines, and they made it four with five minutes to go with another well taken free kick.

Greenlaw created a couple of chances with minutes to go when a William Smillie shot was saved by the keepers legs, then Andrew Hamilton shot straight into the home keepers arms, but it was Tweeddale who ran out emphatic winners.

Gala Athletic0

Chirnside Utd Colts8

FOR the second time this season Chirnside United Colts scored eight goals without conceding against a very physical Gala side.

Having lost two regular starters from their team due to moving up to help out the first team and having three 15-year-olds in their starting line-up this was an exceptional result.

For the first 15 minutes this was a fairly even contest with neither side creating any clear cut scoring chances. This all changed after 20 minutes when the Colts got their game together and started to create numerous chances but failed to score from any of them. Romanies twice missed the target with headers, Tweedie fired wide with only the keeper to beat and Smolenskij went close with two headers. When they did hit the target they found the Gala keeper in great form when he saved a rasping shot from Blacklock and another good effort from Pattenden.

Gala should have taken the lead when a mistake from Stanton let the Gala forward in on goal only for Colts’ keeper Lugget to pull off a fine save.

On 35 minutes Romanies finally did hit the target with a header from a cross from Lawson to score the first of his six goals. He increased the score to 2-0 when he headed in another goal just before half time.

Romanies completed his hat-trick on 50 minutes from another header and Pattenden scored the next two goals to make it 5-0 after an hour. Gala did come more into the game but found Blaikie and Stanton, ably backed up by Wood and Lawson in the Colts’ defence, on top form.

Patterson had a long range effort hit the bar and cleared for a corner and it was from this that Romanies got his fourth goal and the Colts’ sixth. Romanies added another two to get his double hat-trick late in the game after some good work from Scott Burnett and Sean Lackenby who set him up to finish off a fine afternoon.