Border Amateur League round-up

A look at the games featuring local sides

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 8th April 2015, 10:10 am



Tweedmouth welcomed Melrose to the Five Arches on Saturday in their penultimate league home game of the season, with the home side needing a point the secure promotion to the Border Amateur ‘B’ division.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

It did not take the home side long to open the scoring and within five minutes Sean Philips found the back to the net to settle any pre-match nerves after some fine work down the right hand side from Dean Powling, after which Tweedmouth found it difficult to get into any kind of groove to increase their lead,

This came after half an hour’s play after Melrose had made things difficult for the home side with their refusal to let the Berwick outfit have things their own way, But Centre half Graham Fairbairn made it two and put some daylight between the two sides.

In the second half Tweedmouth again seemed to stutter slightly,but on the hour mark a penalty was awarded to the home side of which Nicky Clark dispatched cleanly into the bottom corner of the net with ease.

Ten minutes later, after a number of changes being made, substitute Stewart ‘Shak’ Thompson added a third following a fine assist from skipper JB Clark.

Another substitute Dylan Patterson added a fifth and his second in only two appearances to put the result beyond doubt and giving Tweedmouth the points they required to give them guaranteed promotion to the B division next season.

Tweedmouth can take great credit on gaining promotion, however, a little bit of work is still to be done to go on and win the league.

Match was sponsored by Auction House (Berwick) and Wot a Clip! (dog grooming services).

Elsewhere on Saturday Coldstream Amateurs made it through to the semi-finals of the Walls Cup with a 1-0 home win over Tweeddale Rovers.

But it was a bad day for Chirnside - United lost 9-1 at home to Gala Fairydean Rovers in the Beveridge Cup quarters, whilst the Colts were thumoped 20-0 at home by Hawick Legion in the B League.

Also in the B League Eyemouth Amateurs lost 3-1 at home to Hawick United, whilst Duns edged a 3-2 win away to Peebles in the C Division.

On Tuesday Greenlaw moved up a place in the A Division with a slender 1-0 win over Berwickshire rivals Chirnside, in what was effectively a mid-table clash.

Also in the A Division Gordon had a disappointing night, goin g down 1-5 at home to West Barns Star.

Porter had put Gordon ahead in the first half, but in the second half the Berwickshire side conceded four quick goals.

In the C Division Duns edged a 1-0 home win over Kelso Thistle, a result which lifts the Dingers to within three points of Biggar, who are currently sitting in second place in the table.



Greenlaw travelled away to Stow’s temporary home in Galashiels looking to avenge their defeat in last month’s South Cup.

This time round a spot in the semi-final of the Beveridge Cup was up for grabs and with a bare bones squad it was Stow who had the better of the early opportunities with Steele going close.

Greenlaw did have a couple of chances and Robertson was unlucky with a left foot strike. Jamie Hogarth was then unlucky not to score with a header.

Stow took the lead midway through the half when they launched a free kick into the box, a mix up between defender and goalkeeper gifted the ball to the Stow striker who nipped in to give Stow the lead. Stow had couple of other chances to double their lead before the half but couldn’t finish them off.

After the break Greenlaw came out fired up and Hogarth was again unlucky with a header. Culham, however, made no mistake when an opportunity came his way heading home from a Hannan freekick to equalise for Greenlaw.

Greenlaw pushed on through Wright, Whellans and Ross Smillie but it was the combination of the new front pairing that got the second. Andrew Henderson, making his first start for Greenlaw, broke down the left to play an inch perfect cross to Robertson at the back post who finished from close range for his third goal in two games. In the dying moments Stow pushed every man forward but only some last ditch defending kept Greenlaw’s lead intact.



Two pieces of bad defending cost Gordon dearly in this game.

Hawick started well and dominated possession early on. They took the lead when a free kick was crossed into the box and their player was allowed a free header. He headed into the corner of the net with stand-in keeper Chappers given no chance.

Gordon struggled to pass the ball and Hawick scored their second when another free kick was launched into the boss and some mis-communication meant the ball dropped at the Hawick attacker’s foot and be made no mistake.

Hawick had another couple of half chances to extend their lead but they failed to take advantage.

After this Gordon started passing the ball better. Andrew and Gille started causing problems down the left and Swan had a couple of long range efforts just off target.

They had a good spell of possession and got a goal back when a cross from the left fell to Dodge at the back post and he tapped in.

In the second half Gordon grew in confidence and had Hawick on the back foot.

Utterson and Dodge both went close and Simpson glanced a header just wide. Simpson also hit a long range effort not too far wide. And Utterson was unlucky when he blocked the keeper’s rushed clearance, only to see the ball trickle just the wrong side of the post.

The best chance fell to Gillie when Simpson played a great through ball to him but the keeper saved his shot and the visitors were unable to force an equaliser.