Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image

A look at the games involving local sides.

Duns Reserves won through to the final of the Forsyth Cup when they beat Ancrum 3-0 in the semi-finals on Saturday.

But there was disappointment for Greenlaw who missed out on the final of the Waddell Cup after they lost 4-1 at home to Stow in the semi’s.

Stow will now go on to face Leithen Rovers in the final after they beat West Barns Star 6-1 away from home in the other last four fixture.



Greenlaw failed to make it to the Waddell Cup final for a third successive year after suffering another heavy defeat at home to Stow.

Greenlaw took the lead after 20 minutes when Chris Black rose above the Stow defence to head home a Lee Hannan free kick. With the game pretty even Stow got themselves back into the game just before the half when their centre half hit a thunderous shot into the bottom corner from 40 yards.

Stow looked the more dangerous in the second half and were awarded a penalty after 55 minutes when Turner brought down Steel in the box. He stepped up and scored. Moments later he scored a second to give Stow a two goal lead.

Greenlaw pushed on to try and rescue the game but failed to create any opportunities and with five minutes to go Stow sealed the win when their striker closed down Simmond in the Greenlaw goal and got a bit of luck when the clearance ricochet off his back and into the goal.



Tweedmouth played their final away game of the season and despite being crowned league champions they were keen to maintain their unbeaten run in the league.

However, the home side had other ideas and it was they who took the lead after 25 minutes with a fine finish into the bottom corner giving goalkeeper Graeme Cain no chance to get across his goal and make a save,.

The away side play continued to be somewhat sluggish but they forced an equaliser just before half time when Nicol McPherson found himself unmarked at the back post to finish with aplomb.

In the second half Nicky Clark put the visitors in front five minutes after the break, Tweedmouth kicked on from this and had the better of the possession and found a better rhythm in their play.

Sean Phillips made the game safe when he added a third after 70 minutes, netting with a header from an Aaron Hope cross to the back post.



Coldstream Amateurs put themselves in the driving seat in the race for promotion with a comfortable 4-1 win over Tweeddale at Home Park on Saturday.

The victory puts the Ammies ahead of both Eyemouth and Langholm, both of whom can catch them, but the Fishermen would need to win both their games in hand and score 24 goals in the process, which is a tall order!

Langholm need three wins out of four games to pip the Berwickshire side, but whatever league they are playing in next season they can be proud of their achievements during the current campaign.

Coldstream got off to the best possible start with McCann firing them in front after only five minutes with a superb left foot strike.

Tweeddale, with Wilson particularly prominent, equalised 10 minutes later after he tied Hawk and Patterson in knots and smacked a tidy finish into the net.

But Wilson was then sent off for kicking out at Guthrie and the Streamers capitalised instantly when Turnbull scored with a volley to make it 2-1 at the interval.

The next goal was crucial and it arrived on the hour mark when C Baillie connected with a corner from S Baillie to put the home side well on their way to victory.

Unfortunately C Baillie was ordered off moments later for swearing and both sides were down to ten men.

The final goal came when Patterson laid off a header for Waugh to nod home his 25th of the season and end Tweeddale’s promotion hopes in the process.



Gordon made it five wins out of the last six games when they beat Gala at home on Saturday.

The Berwickshire side started well and were the better of the two sides in the first half, establishing a 2-0 lead.

They opened the scoring with a bullet header from a corner, and it was a corner which also led to their second goal, Porter heading the ball back across goal to Simpson, who found the net with a well placed header.

At the start of the second half Gala tried to force their way back into the game and they pulled a goal back after 55 minutes.

The Gordon defence was guilty of trying to play the Gala forward offside, but he was able to cross for the only player in the box to easily tap home at the back post.

Gala then forced the issue and Gordon were forced to dig in and defend well.

But for all their pressure, Gala’s only serious effort on the home goal was a long range effort, which the home keeper had covered as it drifted wide.

Gordon then played their way back into the game and looked comfortable for the rest of the match.

It looked as if the sides might only be separated by a single goal at the final whistle, but in the last minute the home side bagged a third.

This came from what was effectively one of the best moves of the match.

Gordon put nine or ten passes together, keeping the ball well in the corner, before it was played into the box for Andrew to net with a neat finish.