Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image

A look at the games featuring local sides this week.



(After extra-time)

Duns Reserves won through to the semi-finals of the Fosyth Cup with an enthralling 5-4 extra-time victory over Chirnside United.

Division Three Duns travelled to take on first division Chirnside at Comrades Park, and despite it being a local derby, the home team were considered favourites to reach the last four.

After a classic 90 minutes of cup football it finished 4-4 with the Duns scorers being Jamie Lackenby (2), including one from the penalty spot, Sean Spoor and Grant Wilson.

The winning goal in extra-time came from Steven Burns.



Tweedmouth travelled to Carnwarth on Saturday to take on a Biggar side who knew this was a match they could not afford to lose.

In tricky conditions the visitors had the better of the opening exchanges creating some fine chances. The home side, playing against the wind, did not commit many players beyond the ball and the defence was happy to sit deep and take any pressure that they were put under.

Tweedmouth deservedly took the lead on the 40 minute mark, after some fine work from Kyle Wood, which resulted in him being upended on the edge of the 18 yard box, only for the ball to fall to Sean Phillips, who despatched his shot calmly across the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

This was the perfect time to score as they knew in the second half they would have to battle with the elements somewhat.

Biggar came out in the second period putting the away side under pressure but struggled to break them down with goalkeeper Cain, the back four and skipper JB Clark having a fine game. Things got a little heated after Biggar felt hard done by the referee for a foul and a decision that they were looking for did not go their way.

This spurred a very determined Tweedmouth team on even more and their battling team spirit, togetherness and character was there for all to see,

They could have sealed it midway through the second half when Dean Powling was left unmarked at the back post, only to see his shot go wide, but this was to be Tweedmouth’s day and they got their reward when new signing Dylan Patterson sealed the win with only minutes remaining after rounding the home goalkeeper with a cool finish.

This was a huge result for Tweedmouth as they maintain their final push for league honours.

Match sponsored by Charlie’s Nightclub and Castle Blinds.



This Waddell Cup quarter-final was a game Greenlaw will want to forget in a hurry as anything that could go wrong, did.

They lost a sloppy early goal. Tait was then injured and had to go off after 15 minutes.

A Stow player punched the ball in the box but the referee didn’t see it.

Brown got a straight red card and was sent off after 20 minutes.

And to rub salt into the wounds they scored not one but two own goals!

Even with 10 men against 11 Gordon created several good chances and Livingstone should have scored twice whilst Gillie also missed a decent opportunity.

The Stow keeper produced an excellent save from Utterson’s effort at 1-0.

After 20 minutes they were 2-0 down and down to 10 men so the boys worked hard and battled really well.

Credit to Stow who kept the ball well and made the 10 men work very hard to get it back and all the best to them in the semi-final.

Its all league games left for Gordon now,the first of which is Hawick Waverley this coming Saturday.

Also in the Waddell Cup Greenlaw were due to play Eyemouth Amateurs in the quarter-final, but the tie was postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.

West Barns beat Hawick Waverley 6-1 to reach the semi’s.

In the B Division Coldstream Amateurs took maximum points with a 0-2 away win over Tweeddale Rovers.The Berwickshire goalscorers were Waugh and Baillie.