Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image

A look at games featuring some of the local clubs from the weekend.




With just 11 players available for this Forsyth Cup tie, this was always going to be a tough afternoon for Chirnside against a Tweedmouth side unbeaten so far in the league.

And it proved just that with the game going all the way into extra time. Tweedmouth took the lead after 20 minutes with a shot from 18 yards by Dean Powling which took a deflection from Stevie Christie and ended up in the net.

Chirnside got back on level terms with Daniel Pattendean and Joe Condy linking up well in mid field to send in Connor Lough to square the ball across goal for Graham Kelly to tap in from five yards.

Adam Smith and Daniel Pattendean both had chances to put Chirnside in front but on both occasions the keeper saved their efforts.

Tweedmouth took the lead just before half time from a Chirnside throw-in from Ryan Purves, who bizarrely threw the ball to the opposition, who promptly drove the ball across the 18 yard line to get a shot in which was well blocked by Duncan Morrison, only to rebound back to him and this time it was Paul Blacklock who made a great tackle but once again the ball broke free Wood to stab the ball over the line.

Early in the second half two great runs from midfield by Pattendean opened up the well organised Tweedmouth defence but their keeper pulled off two fine saves.

Adam Smith hit the underside of the bar from a header from an inch perfect cross from Robbie Armstrong and he also hit the inside of the post on another occasion.

Tweedmouth were then reduced to ten men with 20 minutes of the match remaining, and Chirnside took full advantage.

With 10 minutes left it was third time lucky for Smith after he latched onto another cross from Armstrong to fire in an unstoppable shot from 12 yards to take the game into extra time.

Within the first minute of extra time Graham Kelly got his second goal of the game after he scored with a great looping header from 10 yards from yet another cross from Armstrong to make the score 3 – 2 with 15 minutes to go.

Joe Condy’s run into the box was brought to an abrupt halt when he was brought down and awarded a penalty from which he brushed himself down to take the penalty, which he missed, to keep the game alive to the final whistle.



It was a pretty even game with Hawick scoring two second half,counter attacking goals to take the points.

There weren’t too many chances for either team in the first half although Simpson volleyed over from a Gillie corner and another Simpson header was saved by the keeper.

Utterson did well to get his head on the rebound only for the ball to fall straight into the keeper’s hands, who was lying on the ground.

In the second half Gordone forced three corners in a quick succession, which produced goalmouth scrambles.

However, they were caught on the break by Hawick, with one of their players breaking three tackles before opening the scoring.

Gordon pushed on and had most of the possession without creating too many clear cut chances and Hawick always look dangerous on the counter.

The home side thought they had equalised when Utterson was played through but his lobbed effort t somehow hit the underside of the bar and bounced back out.

Utterson flung himself at the rebound but his header skiffed the outside of the post.

Gordon continued to press, but again Hawick hit them on the break to add a killer second goal. Their player got to the byeline and crossed the ball and their other striker found the net.

This knocked the wind out of Gordon, who later had a strong claim for a penalty in the last minute when the ball seemed to strike a Hawick defender on the arm but it wasn’t given.



Greenlaw continued in their quest to defend the Waddell Cup against B Division side Hawick United.

Greenlaw had the best of the early attacks with William Smillie striding past the Hawick defence on a few occasions but failing with the final ball.

Some good play from Black and Long also resulting in other chances which Dean Carruthers was unlucky not to do better from. Despite these attacks Hawick retained the ball well in midfield through Owens and Kelly was causing some trouble down the left but no clear cut chances were created.

In the second half Greenlaw lifted their game and newly signed Sean Robertson was introduced after 60 minutes and made an immediate impact when he got on to the end of a Ross Smillie cross to finish from close range. Minutes later the lead was doubled when Carruthers was found on the edge of the Hawick box, he turned his marker well and finished into the bottom corner.

Hawick pulled one back soon after though to keep the game alive when Strathdee cut inside and found the far corner. They continued to push and this urge to go forward ultimately led to Greenlaw’s third, when a huge kick up the pitch was collected by William Smillie, who beat a defender and cut it back to Robertson who smashed home his second of the afternoon.

Hawick were not finished yet though and they got a second through Mitchell after some slack defending from Greenlaw.