Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image

A look at the games involving local sides in the BAL this week.



Greenlaw returned to league action for the first time in a number of months away to West Barns.

With the small pitch and an experienced home side it is never an easy place to take any points.

West Barns started the brighter of the two sides and knocked the ball about well.

It was apparent from the first whistle that the game was going to be a midfield battle in which Ross Smillie, Chris Black and new signing Gary Irvine did well to break down West Barns’ attacks.

After 25 minutes the home side were awarded a penalty after Hogarth was struck on the arm in the penalty area from point blank range.

But David Simmonds in the Greenlaw goal was equal to the spot kick and for the third week in a row saved a penalty to keep the game all square.

West Barns again could have taken the lead five minutes later when their striker cut in from the left and hit a low strike across Simmonds, but again he produced a wonderful save.

West Barns continued to attack and from a corner were unlucky to see an effort hit the woodwork.

Just before half time it was Greenlaw who produced some good attacking football and they should have been awarded a penalty when William Smillie turned the defender only to be brought down.

Much to everybody’s amazement the referee waved play on.

The second half started in the same fashion as the first ended with Greenlaw having a couple of half chances through Smillie and Carruthers with Hannan also going close with a free kick.

West Barns again started to dominate and again Greenlaw defended well and Simmonds in the Greenlaw goal produced two more great saves to allow his side to finish the game with a draw and take a hard earned point.



Tweedmouth returned to league action on Saturday against Kelso and were keen to return with all three points, but the hosts were not going to allow the visitors to have things their own way.

Tweedmouth made a decent start to proceedings and got their rewards following a corner when Wood found the back of the net with a well placed header.

However, the home side’s game plan was to continue to frustrate the visitors and with their first shot on goal towards the end of the first half they found an equaliser.

Into the second half and Tweedmouth would have to significantly lift their game to get the win, Ten minutes into the restart and they took the lead for the second time after Stewart Thompson slotted from close range.

And soon after he might have had a second after some fine work down the right hand side from Bugiel, only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

The home side continued to thwart the visitors and equalised with half an hour still to play. Tweedmouth still had time to push for a winner, and Nicky Clark was called upon from the bench to add some extra energy, and with ten minutes remaining the ball fell to Matty Clark on the edge of the box for him to fire home the winner into the bottom corner, giving the Kelso goalkeeper no chance.

This was another important victory for Tweedmouth as they continue their push for promotion.

The match was sponsored by Graeme Hope building and West End Cabs.

Elsewhere in the Border Amateur League Chirnside United Colts exited the Walls Cup first round when they were beaten 4-9 at home against Tweeddale Rovers. A feature of this match was that three of the visiting players netted hat-tricks.

In the Forsyth Cup first round Duns Amateurs won 6-0 away to Selkirk Victoria, whilst in the Waddell Cup second round Eyemouth Amateurs beat Coldstream 2-0, whilst Gordon edged out Jed Legion 4-2.