Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image

A look at the games involving local sides in the BAL.



Greenlaw looked to defend the Waddle Cup in poor conditions at home to Berwickshire rivals Chirnside.

With a cut up pitch making it difficult to play the ball on the ground, and high winds making the long ball difficult, it was only ever going to be a scrappy game.

Greenlaw started the stronger of the two sides and could have went ahead after 10 minutes when Jamie Wright flashed a ball at the six yard line but for nobody to get on the end of it.

They made the breakthrough after 25 minutes though when William Smillie collected the ball just inside the Chirnside half to play an inch perfect pass to Chris Black, who cut inside and placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net giving Lugget in the Chirnside goal no chance.

The game became a midfield battle with both teams trying their hardest despite the conditions.

The second half started in much the same way, however and it was Greenlaw who got a second when Ross Smillie found Dean Carruthers, who beat two men on the edge of the Chirnside area and fired an unstoppable strike into the bottom corner.

Greenlaw continued to push and went close with a long range effort from Ross Smillie with Whellans and Smillie also not making the most of good chances.

Chirnside were not finished though and came to life in the later stages of the half and it was only some great goalkeeping from Simmonds that kept Chirnside out.

First he denied Pattenden, who raced clear, producing a great save and then with minutes to go saving at the back post from a Duncan Morrison header, which looked almost certain to go in.



Tweedmouth were on the road again on Saturday, this time taking on A division side Stow in the Waddell Cup.

With the visitors missing key players through injury and work commitments, it was a chance for other players within the squad to make an impression.

Tweedmouth started brightly and the game began as an even affair, before the home side struck first on the 20 minute mark after a cross was allowed to enter the box and the home forward was left unmarked to score with ease.

Tweedmouth did not allow their heads to drop and continued to play in the right way, but after a dubious offside call, which the referee never gave, Stow put themselves two up right on the stroke of half time.

The visitors came out in the second half and continued to do the ‘right things’ and created some chances of their own, but Stow soon added a third to give themselves clear daylight.

A well struck free kick from Jordan Clark was met by Dean Powling to give them some hope but Stow soon added a fourth and with that they booked their place in the next round of the competition.

Tweedmouth can hold their heads high after what was a gutsy performance against tougher opposition.

The Amateurs return to league action this Saturday away to Kelso Thistle, Kick off 2pm.



Gordon took the league points in this scrappy match, which was played in windy conditions.

Both teams missed scoring opportunities, the first of which fell to Livingstone, who completely missed the ball when clean through on the keeper.

The Berwickshire side opened the scoring when Tait was played in by Utterson and he made no mistake to make it 1-0.

Ancrum pushed forward at every opportunity and created a couple of chances but couldn’t get an effort on target to test the stand-in keeper

Simpson then clipped the bar with an excellent free kick with the keeper well beaten.

Ancrum went close when a cross was played in and the ball was headed just wide.

In the second half Gordon scored early to stamp their authority on the match. Again Utterson was the provider when he clipped a great ball over the top and Livingstone was able to take the ball down on his chest and slot home.

Simpson then had a chance when he burst through but the keeper saved well.

Ancrum were then awarded a penalty which was saved. But soon after Gordon were also awarded a spot kick and Simpson slotted home for 3-0.

Ancrum then got another penalty but again the keeper saved it.

Gillie blasted a volley over from 20 yards whilst at the other end the home side went close with a free kick which was just over the top.

This was not a good game to watch, but a valuable three points for Gordon with so many players missing.



Coldstream travelled to Hawick for a vital league clash, but a defeat and a combination of other results means they now trail in fourth place in the B league.

The game was played in heavy rain and wind, and by the end of the match the Wilton Park pitch was like a mud-bath.

Coldstream got off to a good start and Waugh put them ahead after only five minutes when he beat the keeper to the ball and poked it into the net.

The home team equalised not long after when a free kick was nodded back into the box with Duncan prodding home.

The Streamers stuck to their task and Turnbull clipped the post after a quick counter attack and Waugh went through only for the Legion left back to produce a great tackle.

Hawick applied a lot of pressure in the second half and it was against the run of play when Waugh scored again with a great individual effort.

The defininf moment in the match came when Turnbull raced through, but Reilly made a great save to deny him and they took advantage of the situation with Duncan scoring his second to level it up at 2-2.

Then from a Philbin corner, Maltman swept home from 10 yards out to steal the victory.

Elsewhere in the leagues, Eyemouth Amateurs won 3-0 away to Gala Hotspur with Logie (2) and swordy their goalscorers. In the C Division Duns had to settle for a share of the spoils with a 2-2 draw away to CFC Bowholm.