Border Amateur League round-up

Chirnside United v Jed Leigon in the first round of the Beveridge Cup
Chirnside United v Jed Leigon in the first round of the Beveridge Cup

A look at the games involving local sides over the weekend.


Chirnside United v Jed Leigon in the first round of the Beveridge Cup

Chirnside United v Jed Leigon in the first round of the Beveridge Cup


This was a typical cup tie game with both teams going for the win straight from the kick off and as in the previous two occasions when these two teams have met this season there were goals a-plenty.

Jed took the lead after 10 minutes when Jamie Stobie was adjudged to impede the run of the striker in the box and the Referee blew for a penalty from which they scored.

Chirnside drew level 10 minutes later from a delicate chip into the box from Adam Smith to find the head of Keir Blaikie from which the keeper did well to save and palm it back out only for Joe Condie to side foot the ball into the net.

Chirnside keeper Martin Todd pulled off a great save to stop an own goal after Daniel Pattenden sliced his clearance which was heading for the top corner of the net before Todd somehow got his hand to it. Ryan Purves played Adam Smith in to go one on one with the keeper but once again the keeper came out on top pulling off another fine save.

A 30 yard strike from Keir Blaikie grazed the bar and a shot from a tight angle from Connor Lough hit the post which brought an end to the first half.

Within two minutes of the second half starting Chirnside took the lead when the keeper couldn’t hold onto the ball from a Daniel Pattenden shot and Connor Lough pounced on the loose ball to score from a very acute angle.

For the next half hour Jed put Chirnside under the cosh and should have equalised after their number 11 evaded three tackles on his run into the box only to slam his shot against the bar from eight yards with only the keeper to beat. A long range cross come shot was parried over the bar by Todd and some great last ditch defending from the Chirnside defence kept Jed at bay.

Completely against the run of play Keir Blaikie got Chirnside’s third goal after he came out on, from which resembled a Sumo wrestling match, with his marker to curve the ball round the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

With 10 minutes to go Jed made it 3 – 2 with a strike from 18 yards which keeper Todd let slip under his body but once again, against the run of play,

Chirnside scored after Adam Smith picked the ball up on the left and cut inside his marker to release a shot from 15 yards which swerved round the keeper into the top corner of the net to make the final score 4 – 2.



(After extra-time)

The weather and bobbly pitch meant this Beveridge Cup quarter-final tie was never going to be an easy game.

Gordon had the first chance when Tait closed a Hawick clearance down, only to be denied by a good save from the keeper. But five minutes later he made amends when he gave the home side the lead with a shot high into the net after he found himself one on one with the keeper.

There wasn’t a lot between the sides and Hawick got themselves back in the game with an equaliser, the ball being forced over the line after a cross was headed onto the Gordon crossbar by a defender.

In the second half Gordon saw more of the ball but again they were denied by the Hawick keeper and the visitors always looked dangerous on the break.

There was no further scoring and the game went to extra-time. Gordon again held the territorial advantage but Hawick broke and the winning goal came when the ball fell at the feet of their striker who was only three yards out and he smashed the ball into the net.



Greenlaw played their first home game in three months against Stow in the quarter final of the South Cup.

Stow started the stronger of the two sides and after 10 minutes their striker was upended in the Greenlaw box resulting in a penalty. Stow’s Steele stepped up to take the kick, which was saved by Simmonds only for the rebound to land back at his feet which he netted to make it 1-0.

Greenlaw responded in the best possible fashion and a few minutes later Chris Black scored at the near post.

Greenlaw were then awarded a penalty when James Thomson was tripped. Black’s kick was saved, but Thomson slotted home the rebound to make it 2-1.

Stow pushed on and equalised when Steele latched onto a long clearance to score.

The second half saw a lot of Stow pressure but it was Greenlaw who again took the lead when Black’s pressure led to a Stow defender gifting him the ball and he calmly put it past the keeper.

Greenlaw could have sealed the game moments later when Carruthers went close.

With 10 minutes remaining Stow were reward another penalty after the ball struck Mark Long’s arm. The penalty was again saved by Simmonds, but again Steele scored the rebound.

Stow then scored a fourth on the 90th minute when Gass drove up the right and shot which produced a great double save from Simmonds but he could keep out the third effort. They then scored a fifth with seconds to go to secure the victory.



Tweedmouth made the long journey to Carstairs on Saturday to take on Biggar in the first round of the Sanderson Cup, and it was a day to forget for the away side, as they slumped to their first defeat of the season, beaten by a very good home side.

The visitors started well and kept their hosts at bay for the first half an hour, after which a long range effort flew into the top corner giving goalkeeper Cain no chance to give the home side the lead.

It was soon to become worse for the Berwick side as Biggar increased their lead scoring twice in succession with only five minutes remaining until the half time break, giving them a three goal cushion.

Tweedmouth knew they would have to work hard in the second period if they were to stand any chance of getting something from the game, and ten minutes into the second period they got their reward when Fairbairn scored with a fine header to pull a goal back and make it 3-1.

However, as the visitors continued to press forward the home side added a fourth to end the game as a contest and effectively put themselves through to the next round.

Tweedmouth then conceded a further two goals and the game ended with Biggar running out as comfortable winners.

Tweedmouth will need to regroup as next week they are away to A division side Stow in the Waddell Cup.

The match was sponsored by Stevie Roughead Plumbing and the Brewers’ Arms, Berwick.



Coldstream made it three wins in a row with a deserved victory over Linton on Saturday, setting up a promotion nail-biter with hawick Legion next weekend.

Linton raced into an early lead when Muirhead rifled a free kick past Young.

The Ammies equalised with an even better free kick when the in-form Shawn Baillie hit a 30 yard rocket into the top corner of the net.

The customary goal from a Benzies corner arrived when Chris Baillie connected with a lovely header at the back post to send the home side into a 2-1 lead at the break.

The second half was a pretty scrappy affair but Coldstream went 3-1 up when Baillie floated in a pin point cross to Waugh and he sent an intelligent header into the net leaving the goalie wrong footed.

The fourth goal duly arrived when Waugh finished off a good Ammies’ move for his second of the game.

Soon after the Streamers were awarded a penalty but Turnbull missed from the spot.

Linton scored a consolation goal at the death to make the final score-line more respectable.

* Also in the B Division Chirnside Colts were on the receiving end as they went down 8-0 away to Tweeddale.

* Duns Amateurs qualified for the semi-finals of the Sanderson Cup with a nail-biting 6-5 extra-time win over CFC Bowholm in the quarter-finals on Saturday.

Peebles Amateurs also won through to the last four of the competition with a narrow 3-2 home win over Melrose.