Biggar edge out Chirnside Colts in cracking Collie Cup Final

Share this article

Chirnside Utd Colts 2 Biggar 3 THESE two teams served up a cracker of a Collie Cup final on Saturday with both teams playing some good fast flowing football.

However, for the second time within three weeks Biggar got the better of the young Colts side. Despite the Colts having the majority of the game and the chances it was Biggar who had the luck in front of goal on the day.

The Colts started this game with real purpose and had Biggar on the back foot for the first 25 minutes creating a number of chances with Daniel Pattenden going close with a shot from 20 yards. Luke Turner forced the keeper to make a save and Graham Patterson also made the keeper pull off a full length save.

Luke Turner got the first goal of the game: this time the keeper spilled the ball and Turner slammed in the rebound.

The referee awarded Biggar a penalty when Ryan Blaikie made a stupid challenge and they duly equalised from the spot kick.

The Colts regained the lead when Matt Lawson picked out Graham Patterson with a pass to fire into the net from an acute angle.

The Colts should have gone in at half time 3-1 up but Turner missed a great chance when it looked easier to score and from that miss Biggar broke upfield to equalise.

Biggar started the second half much more brightly and had the Colts defence under a fair bit of pressure.

This eventually paid off when a headed clearance from Paul Johnston landed at the feet of their striker to score what proved to be the winner.

To their credit the Colts rallied again and were well on top for the last half hour.

Paul Blacklock hit the bar with a header, a free kick from Matt Lawson shaved the post, Graham Patterson’s header was cleared off the line and a long range effort from Daniel Pattenden was well saved.

In the very last minute Sean Lackenby beat his man to cut in from the left and hit a great shot at goal but the Biggar keeper pulled off a tremendous save to deny the young striker from taking the game into extra time.

Overall the Colts were the better team on the day but Biggar took the chances which fell to them and at the end of the day its goals that win matches regardless of how much possession you have.

Duns Amateurs1

Leithen Rovers4

A COUPLE of refereeing decisions turned this game in favour of the visitors with Duns showing a much improved performance.

Duns started brightly and were rewarded with a fine goal by Chris Faulkner but minutes later referee John Blaikie awarded Rovers a very soft penalty which they duly converted.

Play then swung from end to end with both sides creating chances. However, it was Rovers who went in at the break a goal up when they scored after some slack defending.

In the second half Duns should have equalised when Johnny Waugh was clean through but he dwelt too long on the ball and the chance was gone.

Rovers then began to get on top and had it not been for a string of superb saves by the young Duns keeper Philip Smith the game would have been over as a contest.

Duns then hit Rovers on the break and when Waugh was clean through again, the referee blew for offside when he failed to see a visiting defender playing Waugh onside.

Rovers took the free kick quickly and their striker made it 3-1 much to the amazement of everyone. The visitors added a fourth goal in the final minutes.

• Division A side Pencaitland, who defeated Gala Rovers 2-0 in the final of the Borders Cup at Peebles on Saturday, are to pull out of the Border Amateur League at the end of the season.

The club will join the Lothian and Edinburgh Amateur League at the start of the new season.

Winton have already pulled out of the league.