Berwick reduced to 10 men and slip up against Elgin City

editorial image

Elgin recorded their third win of the season over Berwick Rangers on Saturday to cement their third place standing in Scottish League 2.

Rangers, after a tremendous home win over leaders Forfar the previous week, saw their mini-revival ended by City, whose winning goal was by scored by Chris McLeish with a glancing header in the first half.

Berwick, after taking seven points from their last three games, recalled Stevie Notman after a virus kept him out of action for the previous fortnight.

Elgin, meanwhile, were forced into making a late change with Shane Sutherland injured in the warm-up and Craig Gunn was drafted in minutes before kick-off.

The first real chance fell to Berwick after ten minutes when Greg Rutherford broke through the middle and he slipped the ball to Aaron Murrell, whose first time shot was pushed aside by Elgin keeper Cameron MacKay at full stretch.

On 21 minutes Gunn had a shot turned over by Berwick keeper Devlin Mackay, and just three minutes later Berwick had a strong claim for a penalty when Steven Thomson looked to be fouled just as he was about to pull the trigger inside the box, but referee Colin Steven decided to wave play on.

Elgin took the lead on 31 minutes when a throw-in on the right was flicked on and McLeish directed a glancing header past Mackay in a crowded box.

Elgin had the ball in the net twice more before half time, but on each occasion the efforts were disallowed, the first for a foul on the keeper, and the second for offside.

At the start of the second half Berwick replaced Lee Hamilton with Kevin McKinlay, Hamilton having picked up an injury in the first half when he appeared to overstretch.

Darren Lavery pulled a shot wide for Berwick from outside the box, but in general serious efforts on goal were at a premium in the second 45 minutes.

On a pitch which passed an inspection earlier in the day, players from both sides struggled to keep their footing and there wasn’t much between the teams in terms of quality or possession. Neither side looked to have a cutting edge up front, and as a result both keepers had a quiet afternoon.

In the final minutes Berwick were reduced to ten men when Michael McKenna was sent off for two bookings within two minutes - it was his fourth red card of the season.

Berwick Rangers: Mackay, Hamilton (McKinlay 46), Phillips, Notman, Scullion, Spark, Thomson (Orru 77), Lavery, Rutherford, McKenna, Murrell (Kessels 70).

Elgin: MacKay, Cooper, MacPhee, McHardy, Brownlie, Reilly, Dodd (Sutherland 75), Cameron, McLeish (Stewart 66), Gunn Moore (Reid 82).

The referee: Colin Steven and the attendance was 403.

Berwick Rangers are travelling to the capital to play against ninth placed Edinburgh City this weekend at Meadowbank Stadium.

The Scottish League 2 clash will kick-off at 3pm on Saturday, March 4.