WATCH: Ross Gray returns for Rangers after two months out

Despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Albion Rovers at Shielfield on Saturday, Berwick received a double pick-me-up.

First of all Ross Gray returned to action after two months out with a knee injury, and then, fellow midfielder Lee Currie confirmed that he hopes to return to action this coming weekend away to Queen’s Park, despite having recently been diagnosed with shin splints.

Ross Gray in action for Berwick in their cup tie against Livingston

Ross Gray in action for Berwick in their cup tie against Livingston

Gray was sidelined in pre-season when he was carried off against Dunfermline at Shielfield with suspected medial and cruciate ligament damage.

“I thought my season was over when I got injured in pre-season he said. “I honestly thought that was it for the year.

“An NHS doctor said it was cruciate ligament damage, but I then went private and was told it was not as bad as first thought. There was only a little tear and I was told that if I kept exercising it I should be OK.”

The former Livingston player was named as a substitute for Saturday’s game against Albion and came off the bench in the second half.

“I played a friendly in midweek and came through without any reaction,” he said, “so I was pleased to get on for the final 20 minutes against Albion.

“I wasn’t expecting to play and I had to go out and get myself some new shin-guards as I had thrown my other ones out.”

“It was disappointing to drop two points, but we know that if we can string a couple of wins together the confidence will return and we will come good.”

Meanwhile, Currie, who has missed the last two games through suspension, says he hopes to return to action against Queen’s Park this weekend as his injury is also not as bad as first feared.

“I was getting a shooting pain up my leg and I think it came from a knock I took to the ankle,” he said. “The doctor said it might be shin splints and he advised me to take two weeks off, which fitted in perfectly with my suspension.

“But I have still been training and I have had no effects so I am hoping to be back next week.”