Rangers sunk by another late goal

editorial image

Clyde 2, Berwick Rangers 1: Berwick’s play-off hopes were dealt a killer blow when they went down 2-1 to struggling Clyde at Broadwood on Saturday.

There was also a further set-back when skipper Chris Townsley was shown a straight red card after the final whistle for comments made to referee Andrew Dallas.

For the second time in as many games, it was a late goal which sunk Ian Little’s men.

Rangers had lost to an 87th minute strike at Stirling Albion a week earlier, and after enjoying the lion’s share of the play against the Bully Wee, they went down to an 86th minute goal from John Sweeney.

Berwick went into the game knowing that a win was vital to give themselves a serious chance of a top four finish and qualification for the end of season play-offs. But three defeats in a row, and with only four games left to play, they are now three points adrift of the top four and have a mountain to climb.

Fraser McLaren almost gave the Borderers the lead after eight minutes but his header from inside the area was brilliantly saved by former Rangers’ keeper Jamie Barclay.

After 17 minutes Lee Currie shot over the bar, and two minutes after that Clyde showed their desire with Stefan McCluskey pulling a shot wide.

Berwick held the upper hand, however, and after 21 minutes striker Scott Dalziel volleyed over the bar and two minutes later McLaren was again denied by Barclay when his shot from the right was parried away.

As they pushed forward, Berwick won a series of first half corners, but for all their pressure they failed to capitalise and against the run of play Clyde took the lead after 39 minutes through Kevin Watt who finished with a shot from the right side of the box after Pat Scullion headed into his path.

At the start of the second half McLaren was denied by Barclay for a third time, when his shot was parried away.

But after 53 minutes Berwick got their just rewards when Rangers scored a peach of a goal - Stevie Notman equalised, volleying home from close range following a Neil Janczyk cross on the left.

Berwick keeper Marc McCallum, who had a relatively quiet afternoon, was called into action on the hour mark, saving a shot from Kieran McDonald, just a minute after he fired in a free kick following a hand ball by Janczyk.

Leading scorer Darren Lavery might have put the visitors in front after 68 minutes, but the striker, who has had a barren spell of late, somehow managed to head over the bar from only six yards out.

And Rangers’ luck continued to desert them when Janczyk saw a shot rebound off the bar after 75 minutes.

Just over a minute later, Dylan Easton, on for Dalziel, volleyed wide, and after 84 minutes he volleyed wide again as the chances continued to go abegging.

The misses came back to haunt Berwick when Sweeney popped up to net the winner in the 86th minute, volleying home a McDonald cross from the left on the edge of the box.

Townsley saw red in the tunnel after the match and will now miss the next two games.

Clyde: Barclay, Scullion (McGachie 68), Fordyce, Hay, McDonald, Nichol, Gray, Sweeney, Fitzharris (Fitzpatrick 81), Watt, McCluskey (McCusker 73).

Berwick: McCallum, Jacobs, Townsley, McLean, Hoskins, McLaren, Janczyk (Gielty 88),Currie, Notman, Lavery, Dalziel (Easton 57).

Referee: Andrew Dallas.

Attendance: 472.