Queen’s Park 2-1 Berwick Rangers


Berwick went down to a 2-1 defeat in the late kick-off at Hampden as Queen’s Park moved to the top of the second division table.

And it was Rangers Achilles heel which again let them down, conceding a goal in the final five minutes.

Substitute Ross McPherson gave the home side a 75th minute lead before Andy Russell equalised three minutes later.

But the winning goal came just four minutes from the end of normal time, Paul Woods finding the net from close range after goalkeeper Billy Bald pushed the ball into his path.

The defeat means Rangers now trail Annan by six points in the race for the play-offs, although they have a game in hand, which will be played on Tuesday when they travel to take on Elgin in a rearranged fixture.

Berwick made three changes to the side which beat Spartans in midweek with Andy Russell, David Gold and Scott Maxwell all starting. Ross Gray and Darren Lavery were on the bench with Stevie Notman ruled out with a knee injury.

Berwick enjoyed early possession and Colin Cameron got in a shot which was comfortably saved by William Muir whilst Lee Currie fired over from a free kick.

Andy Russell twice headed wide from crosses by Kerr Young and Ross Drummond and as Berwick continued to make all the running Russell had a shot cleared off the line, whilst Scott Maxwell narrowly missed with a shot pulled wide.

The home side struggled to get a foothold in the game and from another good build-up David Gold had a shot deflected for a corner before he also shot over from outside the box.

Queen’s first half chance of the game fell to Jordan Moore after 36 minutes, but his attempted lob of Bald from the left was always going wide.

Darren Miller then curled a free kick wide from a central position before Rangers attacked again, Gold driving his shot straight at Muir.

Devon Jacobs cleared a dangerous free kick by lifting it over his own crossbar. Berwick’s play probably deserved a goal, but at half-time it remained 0-0.

The second half started more evenly and Shaun Fraser pulled a shot across goal for the Spiders and Bald had to grasp a cross from substitute Ciaran McElroy.

Paul Willis went close for Rangers with a shot from outside the box, but at the other end Moore was unlucky to see a header go over the top from a long ball into the area.

The deadlock was eventually broken after 75 minutes when substitute Ross McPherson headed through a crowded goalmouth from a corner, Drummond just failing to clear the danger.

But the lead only lasted three minutes before Russell latched onto a headed clearance and thumped a left foot shot past Moore from a central position for a deserved equaliser.

After 86 minutes Queen’s Park regained the lead when Paul Woods steered the ball home from close range after Bald made a good save low to his right, but only managed to push the ball into the home player’s path.

Queen’s Park: Muir, Rooney (Mitchell 27), Quinn, MacGregor, Burns, Miller, Berry, Woods, Fraser, Hynes (McElroy 46), Moore (McPherson 67).

Berwick Rangers: Bald, Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, Drummond, Cameron (Gray 76), Willis, Currie, Maxwell (Lavery 69), Russell (Dargo 85), Gold.

Referee: Nick Walsh.

Attendance: 966.