Queen’s Park 1-3 Berwick Rangers

editorial image

Battling Berwick kept their play-off hopes alive with a hard fought 3-1 win over Queen’s Park at Airdrie.

Second half goals by Lee Currie, Michael Dunlop and Andy Russell saw Rangers overcome a half-time deficit, meaning they go into the final game of the season next weekend still with a chance of a top four finish.

This was a game Rangers knew they had to win, and with three victories already recorded against the Hampden side this season, they went into the match with some confidence.

But QP, currently playing out of The Excelsior Stadium, had been showing some of their best form of the season in recent weeks.

There wasn’t much between the sides early on.

Russell pulled a shot wide for Berwick, whilst Tony Wallace did likewise at the other end.

Russell then had a shot saved in the top corner by home keeper Blair Lochead, whilst Berwick keeper Billy Bald denied Sean Burns.

Darren Lavery also had a shot saved by Lochead, but after 18 minutes the deadlock was broken when Eamonn Brophy shot home after taking a pass from Wallace on the right side of the box.

As Queens Park continued to press forward, Bald was called into action again to save from Blair Spittal. Berwick tried to respond but Lavery and Russell were wide and too high with their attempts. Lochead then made two vital saves to deny Paul Currie from outside the box and Lavery again from a central position.

In the second half, Brophy had an early shot saved by Bald and Paul Gallacher pulled a shot wide. But it was Berwick who scored, courtesy of a Lee Currie special after 56 minutes, his free kick finding the bottom corner following a foul by Gavin Mitchell on Ross Gray.

As play swung from end to end Brophy and Currie went close, but it was fullback Michael Dunlop who put Rangers in front, heading in a Lee Currie cross from a corner after 68 minutes.

With their tails up, Lavery pulled a shot wide and Ben Miller shot straight at Lochead before Russell added a third after 79 minutes, turning in a pass from Gray for his third goal in the last three games.

Tony Quinn went close with a header for the home side, and substitute Lee Davison dragged a shot wide, but Berwick hung on for all three points.

Rangers remain in fifth place in the table, but they can finish fourth if they beat Peterhead at Shielfield next Saturday and Stirling Albion lose against Clyde.

Queen’s Park: Lockhead, Mitchell, Fisher, Coll, Gallagher, Keenan (Davison 71), Burns, Wallace (Gormley 44), Quinn, Spittal, Brophy.

Berwick: Bald, Dunlop (Jacobs 84), Tulloch, Fairbairn, Drummond, Gray (Hoskins 81), Miller L Currie, P Currie (Dalziel 52), Russell, Lavery.

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Attendance: 420.