Peterhead end Berwick’s six-match unbeaten run

editorial image

Berwick Rangers 0 Peterhead 2: Berwick’s six match unbeaten run came to an unceremonious end when they were downed by play-off rivals Peterhead at Shielfield.

On a bitterly cold and windy afternoon they were literally blown off course by the visitors, who as a result forced their own way back into the play-off picture.

Goals by Ryan McCann and Rory McAllister saw the Blue Toon go within two points of Rangers, who are now in fourth place in the table after Montrose leapfrogged them into third.

Berwick went into the game on the back on a six match unbeaten run, not having conceded a goal in their last four outings.

Peterhead started five points adrift of their play- off rivals and were looking for a win to close the gap in the race for a top four finish.

But Berwick’s build up was hampered when they were forced to make two changes to their side, with central defender Dougie Brydon (groin) and attacking midfielder Fraser McLaren (toe) failing late fitness tests.

Andy McLean was installed to partner Chris Townsley in central defence, and with leading scorer Darren Lavery again on the bench, Scott Dalziel, himself an injury doubt before kick-off, was left to lead the front line.

In the first half, Peterhead, kicking with the wind, caused Berwick a few problems in defence early on with McAllister seeing an effort turned around by Marc McCallum.

At the other end Scott Dalziel pulled a shot wide after being set up by Kevin McDonald on the edge of the box, and Dalziel also crossed for Lee Currie in the area after beating fullback Stephen Noble down the right, but the midfielder couldn’t get in a shot.

The best effort of the half, however, came from Stevie Notman who struck a shot from 25 yards out after 29 minutes which goalkeeper Graeme Smith managed to get a glove onto and tip onto the crossbar.

The deadlock was broken just five minutes into the second half when Devon Jacobs headed a David Cox corner off the line. Second ball wasn’t won and McCann was on hand to steer it into the net in a crowded goalmouth.

In what was a disappointing second half performance from Berwick goalscoring chances were at a premium and Neil Janczyk lifted the ball over the bar from 10 yards out, whilst substitute Lavery headed over from a cross on the right.

But the visitors sealed all three points when McAllister swivelled and shot in the box in the 84th minute after being set up by Martin Bavidge with his first touch after coming on as a substitute.

Berwick - McCallum, Jacobs, Gielty, Townsley, McLean, Currie, Notman, Janczyk (Lavery 68), Dalziel, Easton, McDonald (Addison 76).

Peterhead - G Smith, Sharp, Noble, Ross, R Smith, Cowie, Cox (Strachan 87) Redman, McAllister (Rodgers 85) Gilfillan, McCann (Bavidge 83).

Referee - Kevin Graham.

Att - 454.