New Year fixtures now take on additional significance for Rangers after late call-off

Jamie Dougall (Physio) and Berwick Manager Ian Little hold The League Cup wich stops over at Shielfield.
Jamie Dougall (Physio) and Berwick Manager Ian Little hold The League Cup wich stops over at Shielfield.

BERWICK’S hopes of landing an early Christmas present were dashed when their home game against Queen’s Park was postponed just minutes before kick-off on Saturday.

Rangers haven’t won a home league game in December for four years and that was a record they were hoping to put to bed against their play-off rivals from Glasgow.

But despite passing an early morning inspection, the game, like so many others around the country, fell victim to the weather, when the officials blew the whistle on proceedings just 30 minutes before the 3pm kick-off.

Both managers, Ian Little and Gardner Spiers, were disappointed the game could not go ahead, but they were in agreement with the decision.

Little said it was ‘the right decision under the circumstances,’ and Spiers said he had ‘no complaints.’

Earlier in the day the club, through a statement on their official website, said that following an inspection by a local referee, there were ‘two areas on concern’ with the Shielfield Park pitch, but they were hopeful the game could still go ahead.

They were aware more rain was forecast and after three days of persistent wet weather a heavy downpour just an hour before the start proved to be the final straw.

Berwick now face the prospect of three games in the space of a week over the New Year period. First of all they face Clyde and Montrose away (on Saturday, December 29 and Wednesday, January 2) before East Stirling visit the Borders on Saturday, January 5.

With an away trip to Ibrox to follow on January 12, Little says the three New Year games now take on additional significance and he will be looking for as many points as possible before facing the league leaders.

Meanwhile, the hom,e game against Rangers at Shielfield on February 23 will again be broadcast live by ESPN.

TV cameras followed the game when the teams drew 1-1 back in August, and on this occasion the game will be brought forward with a 12noon kick-off