Morris bags hat-trick as Reserves come from two down to hit ten

Easthouses Lily 2, Berwick Rangers Reserves 10: After losing two early goals, Berwick Rangers Reserves turned the tables on their Midlothian hosts, who had started the game in confident mood after a midweek Cup win over Premier Division Edinburgh University.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 24th September 2012, 10:14 am

Substitute Josh Morris grabbed a 13-minute hat-trick and new signing Dean Carse, who scored twice when playing as a trialist the previous week, grabbed another double as the Reserves ran riot in the second half.

But it all started so differently. Craig Stupart put Easthouses in front in the ninth minute and Jason Young added a second six minutes later.

Midway through the first half, Stuart Noble was downed in the box and for the third game running, Sam Todd started the Reserves’ scoring from the penalty spot. A minute from the interval, Todd’s cross was headed in by Carse.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

The second half was one-way traffic, with Berwick goalkeeper Ian McCaldon having little to do. Kenny O’Brien opened the floodgates in the 49th minute, finishing a solo run from midfield with Berwick’s third goal.

Three minutes later, after a diagonal pass from Ross Brady, Carse beat two men before slotting his second and Berwick’s fourth goal past Easthouses keeper Bryan Young.

A one-two between Jordyn Gill and Craig Stevenson saw the latter run on to net number five and Greig Smith hit Berwick’s sixth from the edge of the penalty area before being replaced by Josh Morris, back after injury.

Noble got the next goal after powering past defenders before Jamie Doris created the chance for Morris to bag the first of a hat-trick in the 74th minute.

A further ten minutes elapsed before Morris beat Young again after latching on to a long ball from Allan Ramsay over the heads of the defence.

Morris saved his best till last. This time, Steven Finlayson put the ball over the head of the former Tynecastle striker who brought it down in mid-air to unleash a shot which gave Young no chance, his third goal in the space of 13 minutes.

It could have been worse for Easthouses. Before the end, Finlayson hit the bar and was then blocked by Young in a one to one with the goalkeeper.

Berwick Rangers Reserves: McCaldon, Stevenson, Brady, Ramsay, Fairbairn, Gill (Doris 70), O’Brien, Todd (Finlayson 75), Smith (Morris 65), Noble, Carse.