Ferry sinks Rangers with late strike

editorial image

Stirling Albion 1, Berwick Rangers 0:

A late goal saw Berwick slip to their second successive league defeat as their play-off hopes suffered another blow at Forthbank.

After last week’s 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Peterhead, Ian Little’s side were hoping to bounce back, and with only three minutes left on the clock they were hopeful of taking at least a point from a resurgent Stirling side who had been boosted by their 0-0 scoreline against Rangers the previous weekend.

But their hopes were dashed when Mark Ferry popped up to net the winner in the 87th minute, volleying in a Scott Davidson cross from the right.

Ironically, this was a reverse of the result when the teams met at Shielfield just three weeks ago in a rearranged game, Lee Currie grabbing a late winner on that occasion from a deflected free kick.

With Dougie Brydon sidelined with a groin injury, Andy McLean retained his place in central defence. Dean Hoskins was recalled at left back with Damien Gielty moving forward to left midfield.

Leading scorer Darren Lavery was recalled to the starting line-up after several weeks on the bench, and there was also a recall for Fraser McLaren after missing the previous game with a toe injury.

In the first half Jordan White was the danger man for Stirling and he forced Berwick keeper Marc McCallum into making a fine save after 12 minutes when his right foot shot from the right side of the area was parried away.

He also headed wide just before half-time whilst team- mate Joshua Flood also had two good chances, pulling one shot wide of the target whilst the other was fired over the bar.

For Berwick the closest they came to breaking the deadlock was when Lavery had a shot blocked and Gielty, who had earlier fired wide, saw his effort from the rebound well saved by keeper Sam Filler.

Currie fired in a couple of his ‘specials,’ including one from a free kick, and Hoskins saw a volley from the left side of the box go wide.

At the start of the second half Berwick’s Scott Dalziel had a shot from inside the box blocked by Filler.

Davidson pulled a shot wide for Stirling, but chances were at a premium and as frustration started to creep in Stevie Notman became the third Berwick player to be booked, following first half cautions for Devon Jacobs and McLaren.

Both sides looked dangerous from corners but both keepers dominated their boxes and either collected or punched clear a variety of crosses.

In a bid to try and swing things their way, Berwick swapped both their front two, introducing Kevin McDonald for Lavery after 71 minutes and Dean Carse for Dalziel after 80.

Gary Thom headed wide in the 86th minute, but in the very next attack Ferry was on the mark to grab the winner, shooting low past McCallum.

Berwick tried to force an equaliser in the four minutes of injury time, but to no avail, White having another shot saved by the Rangers’ keeper.

Stirling Albion: Filler, McCunnie, Allison (Ashe 83), Tom, McAnespie, Flood (Weir 59), Ferry, McClune, Davidson, Johnston (Cunningham 73), White.

Berwick: McCallum, Jacobs, Townsley, McLean, Hoskins, McLaren, Notman, Currie, Gielty, Dalziel (Carse80), Lavery (McDonald 71).

Referee: George Salmond.

Attendance: 601.