Extra time joy as Berwick beat Livingston in Ramsdens Cup

editorial image

BERWICK RANGERS 3, LIVINGSTON 2 (After extra time)

Berwick earned a dramatic Ramsdens Cup first round win over Livingston at Shielfield on Saturday in a game which burst into life in the final stages.

It was a game which had everything including two penalties, one missed one scored, a controversial injury time equaliser and a player sent off in extra time.

Berwick looked as if they had the game won at the end of 90 minutes, former Livingston man Ross Gray heading Rangers in front from an Owen Ronald corner after 25 minutes.

But three minutes into injury time, after Marc McNulty missed a second half penalty, the striker grabbed a late and controversial equaliser, bundling the ball over the line with Berwick claiming keeper Paul Grant had been impeded at the back post.

Livingston were reduced to ten men four minutes into injury time after Jason Talbot was sent off for dissent.

Paul Grant made a fine save from a Marc McNulty volley but Berwick retook the lead through substitute Josh Morris who turned in the rebound from a Dean Hoskins free kick which was spilled by Darren Jamieson.

Ronald then fired Berwick 3-1 in front, beating two men before flashing a left foot shot in from 15 yards out.

But less than a minute later, just before half-time in extra time, Simon Mensing made it 3-2 when Livi were awarded a second penalty following a foul by Hoskins on McNulty.

Earlier in the game Livingston had several chances to draw level after Berwick took the lead, with the experienced Mark Burchill twice failing to convert from close range. He pulled a shot wide when one on one with keeper Grant, and on the second occasion saw Grant deny him with his feet.

For Berwick Darren Lavery almost nipped it to steal a short back-pass, Livingston had to clear their lines in a frantic goalmouth scramble, and Scott Dalziel headed just wide from a Damien Gielty cross on the left.

After the game, Ronald, who netted what proved to be the winning goal, said:

“I knew it was going in as soon as I hit it.

“What was unusual about it was the fact it was a left foot shot and that is normally my weak side.”

Ronald, whose father Paul also played for Berwick, only signed a contract to join the Borderers on loan from Dumbarton until January earlier in the week and he added: “The boys have made me feel very welcome and I have settled in well.

“I am making my comeback after suffering a broken foot at the end of last season and this was my first 90 minutes, so it was nice to get it under my belt and to win the match, which was the most important thing.

“I can remember coming down to Berwick when my father played here and I can always remember the pitch being good. I’m looking forward to the new challenge and hopefully this is a result we can build on for the rest of the season.”

Berwick- Grant, Turner (T), Gielty, Hoskins, Tulloch, Currie, Gray (O’Brien 73), Notman, Dalziel (Miller 86), Lavery ((Morris 82), Ronald.

Livingston - Jamieson, Mampuya, Talbot, Mensing, Donaldson, Fordyce (Docherty 70), Scott, Beaumont (Beaumont 56), McNulty, Burchill, McDonald (Mullen 76).

Referee: George Salmond.