Elgin City 1-3 Berwick Rangers

editorial image

Battling Berwick kept their lingering play-off hopes alive when they came from behind to beat nine-man Elgin at Borough Briggs on Saturday.

Rangers trailed to a first half own goal from skipper Lee Currie, but bounced back in the second half after City had a second player sent off.

Goals by Currie and two late strikes by Andy Russell and substitute Josh Morris sealed the win, which means The Borderers go into their final three games of the season five points behind play-off rivals Stirling Albion and Clyde.

In the first half, apart from an early shot by Andy Russell and an effort from Darren Lavery, Berwick found themselves on the back foot.

Ciaran McLean twice pulled shots wide, whilst Dennis Wyness also went close.

Shane Sutherland had two shots saved by Billy Bald, who also saved from Jamie Masson.

The deadlock was broken in the 40th minute when Lee Curiie turned the ball into his own net to give Elgin the lead.

Minutes later Sutherland went close again before the home side were reduced to ten men shortly before half-time when Sean Crighton was shown a straight red card for fighting.

Right on the half-time whistle Ross Gray saw home goalkeeper John Gibson save a shot in the bottom corner, but at the break City had their noses in front.

Down to ten men, Elgin made two changes at the start of the second half to compensate for the sending off, but just three minutes after the restart they suffered a further set-back when they had a second player sent off, Jamie Duff seeing red after a handling the ball on the line.

Currie levelled from the resulting penalty, and as they applied the pressure Lavery, Scott Dalziel with a header and Stephen Tulloch all had efforts saved by Gibson.

Lavery, Dalziel and Currie also had efforts just off target, whilst Shane Sutherland went close at the other end, before Rangers scored twice in a minute near the end to complete the fightback.

Russell put the visitors in front after 87 minutes with his first goal for the club, before Morris headed in a third from close range after 88 minutes following a cross by Currie.

Elgin: Gibson, Finlayson, Beveridge, McLean, Duff, Crighton, Gunn, Masson, Bayne (McKenzie 46), Wyness (Niven 46), Sutherland.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs (Downie 80), Drummond, Miller, Tulloch, Fairbairn, Gray (Morris 69), L Currie, Dalziel, Russell, Lavery.

Referee: David Somers.

Attendance: 602.