East Stirling 0-2 Berwick Rangers

editorial image

Two goals by striker Darren Lavery saw Berwick record their second win of the season over East Stirling at Ochilview and move up to fifth place in the division two table.

It was Rangers’ first league win in eight outings, Lavery’s goals coming in the 26th and 88th minutes, by which time the home side had been reduced to ten men.

Berwick were forced into making an early substitution with Dean Hoskins replacing central defender Stephen Tulloch, who sustained a head injury after only nine minutes’ play.

Chances were few and far between in the early stages and the closest Berwick got was when striker Craig Dargo had a header saved by Richie Barnard, whilst Lee Currie shot over from distance with a free kick.

At the other end Luke Donnelly, on loan from Celtic, headed wide for the home side, but as Berwick pressed forward fullback Stevie Notman brought out a good save from Barnard with a shot from outside the box.

Rangers made the breakthrough after 26 minutes when Striker Darren Lavery turned a fired a peach of a shot from just outside the box which gave Barnard no chance.

There was then a frenetic end to the half with chances being created at either end.

First of all Paul Willis had a shot which was parried away by the goalkeeper. He then pulled another shot wide, before Lavery did likewise after a fast-paced break from the visitors.

Over four minutes of first half injury time were played, and almost right on the whistle Berwick keeper Billy Bald had to be alert to deny David McKenna with a shot from outside the box.

Early in the second half Ross Gray had a shot which was blocked by Bernard and deflected for a corner.

But generally the half was devoid of chances and it wasn’t until 70 minutes, when Lee Currie shot from distance, that either keeper was called into action.

Ex-Berwick defender Michael Bolochoweckyj then had a header saved by Bald, before Dargo went close for Rangers, Barnard tipping his effort away for a corner.

There was then a set-back for the home side when substitute Brisbane was sent off for a second bookable offence after 74 minutes, having only been on the field for 19 minutes.

As Rangers pressed to take advantage and tried to kill off the game, Lavery tried his luck with a shot from 25 yards out, but the effort was always going high.

Berwick substitute Andy Russell had only been on the field for a minute when he pulled a shot wide, and Lavery also shot wide from a central position.

But the striker was on hand to tap in his second of the game after 88 minutes, following a good run and cross by Rissell.

Willis and David Gold thrn both got in shots in the closing stages as Berwick finished with a flourish.

East Stirling: Barnard, Greene, Bolochoweckyj, Townsley, Kinnaird, Kay (Shepherd 78), McCabe, MacGregor (Brisbane 55), Greenhill (Wright 67), Donnelly, McKenna.

Bookings: MacGregor 30 mins foul; Brisbane 69 foul;

Berwick: Bald, Notman, Young, Tulloch (Hoskins 9), Drummond, Gray (Gold 69), P Currie, L Currie, Willis, Dargo (Russell 80), Lavery.


Referee: Ryan Milne.

Attendance: 273.