Culter 1-1 Berwick Rangers

Culter and Berwick must do it all again after the teams drew 1-1 in the second round of the Scottish Cup in Aberdeenshire on Saturday.

By Keith Hamblin
Monday, 4th November 2013, 9:50 am

The teams will now meet again in a replay at Shielfield this coming Saturday (November 9) in what will be the Highland Junior League side’s first ever visit to the Borders.

Stevie Notman gave Berwick the lead early in the second half, but a Michael Dunlop own goal gave the home side a foothold in the match and it was only an injury time save from stand-in keeper Billy Bald which kept Rangers in the tie.

Berwick manager Ian Little treated Culter with every respect and apart from goalkeeper Paul Grant he named what many consider would be his first choice line-up.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Grant was unavailable because of Hibs’ insistence that he does not play in cup ties and Berwick used Bald between the posts.

Rangers made the better start and Damien Gielty and Scott Dalziel both had shots saved by goalkeeper Neil Duffy within the first nine minutes.

Notman also pulled a shot wide, but Culter had their moments Allan Youngson shot over the top before centre forward Jamie McAllister went close twice.

First of all he headed narrowly over after 11 minutes and two minutes later he shot straight at Bald.

As play swing from end to end Darren Lavery fired wide for Berwick. Stephen Tulloch, who scored his first goal for the club last week in the 1-1 draw at Peterhead, shot wide after 23 minutes, but the game then developed into a midfield slog and it wasn’t until Gielty shot wide from the edge of the six yard box after 41 minutes that the next chance was created.

In first half injury time George McBain shot straight at Bald, but at half-time there was still no score.

But just eight minutes into the second half Notman broke the deadlock when he steered a low left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Ian Leith shot over as Culter tried to respond, and Lavery did likewise at the other end.

But after 62 minutes Culter equalised when central defender Dunlop turned the ball into his own net.

Lavery then pulled another shot wide, but just minutes later he was replaced by Josh Morris who had a shot blocked from inside the box.

Culter substitute Shaun Taylor shot wide, and as Berwick tried to get their noses back in front Morris and Neil Janczyk, with a header, both went close.

Morris, who looked lively after coming on, forced Duffy into a good low save with a shot from outside the box as the clock started to tick down.

Both sides tried to win the game without the need for a replay and Darryn Kelly had a shot saved by Bald, whilst a Lee Currie effort was blocked.

Rangers then had Bald to thank again when he pulled off a fine save from Leith two minutes into injury time which earned his side a second crack at the Highland Junior side.