Comeback win puts Berwick one step away from play-offs

editorial image

ELGIN CITY 1, BERWICK RANGERS 2: Berwick came from behind to secure a vital win over Elgin on Saturday and put themselves within reach of an end of season play-off place.

Rangers travelled to Boroughbriggs to face City, who started the game just one point behind The Borderers in the table, knowing that a victory would go a long way to seeing them clinch a possible top four finish.

But they fell behind to a seventh minute penalty from Stuart Leslie, who netted from the spot after Damien Gielty fouled Brian Cameron.

It took Berwick 11 minutes to get into their stride, midfielder Kevin McDonald having the first serious shot for the visitors tipped over by goalkeeper Joe Malin.

The Elgin keeper then came to his side’s rescue again after 35 minutes when he tipped over a Janczyk header from inside the box following an inswinging corner from Currie.

Berwick were the better side and as they continued to press before half-time Lavery pulled two shots wide in quick succession and just five minutes before the break the striker was desperately unlucky when he saw a shot from the left side of the box rebound off a post.

However, they could not find a breakthrough and at half-time the home side clung on to lead 1-0, despite substitute Graeme Beveridge, who replaced Gavin Morrison after just 21 minutes, heading wide in the closing stages.

In the second half Easton pulled another shot wide, but Berwick finally got their reward when Lavery equalised after 65 minutes, firing in a shot from a cross on the right by Fraser McLaren.

Elgin tried to respond but Berwick keeper Marc McCallum blocked a shot from Leslie.

Rangers then secured the win when McDonald scored a superb winner after 75 minutes, directing a well placed header past Malin from a cross by Currie.

Again Elgin tried to hit back with Jamie Duff heading over the bar, whilst in injury time a raking shot from Daniel Moore struck the post, but Berwick managed to hang on for a vital three points.

Elgin: Malin, Niven, Duff, Crighton, Nicolson, McMullan (Wyness 75), Harkins (Gunn 65), Morrison (Beveridge 21), Cameron, Moore, Leslie.

Berwick: McCallum, Jacobs, Townsley, McLean, Gielty, McLaren (Dalziel 70), Janczyk, Currie, McDonald, Easton, Lavery (Morris 78).

Referee: Euan Anderson

Attendance: 870.