Berwick surrender 18-year unbeaten run at Montrose

editorial image

Montrose 3, Berwick Rangers 1: Poor defending proved costly for Berwick Rangers, who lost at Links Park for the time in 18 years to extend their winless run away from home.

Without an away win since March, Ian Little’s men fancied their chances going into this game against a Montrose team who have struggled so far this season.

But on-loan teenager Leighton McIntosh scored twice as Montrose earned their first league win of the season and their first at home to Berwick since 1994.

Frustrated Berwick manager Ian Little said: “We lost two poor goals in the first half.”

Goals came from loan signing Leighton McIntosh, who netted two with the other coming from a David Gray penalty.

Montrose were off to a good start, but Gray’s 15-yard shot was blocked by Berwick defender Dougie Brydon.

A minute later, however, Berwick responded with an attempt by Darren Lavery, but his shot was stopped easily by Montrose ‘keeper David Crawford.

Five minutes in Berwick had another opportunity with a free-kick, but Chris Townsley’s shot curved just wide of the post barely troubling the Montrose keeper.

Berwick were forced into making their first substitution in the 24th minute when Dene Drodge went off injured to make way for Devon Jacobs.

The breakthrough came through in the 27th minute following a Gray free kick. Garry Wood met the ball with a header which then fell to McIntosh, who drove the ball into the net.

Just two minutes later Montrose furthered their lead. Chris Townsley took down Wood in the box and Gray slotted the ball past ‘keeper Youssef Bejaoui from the resultant penalty.

The two-goal lead did not last long, though. Just on the stroke of half-time Darren Lavery found the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Berwick made a brighter start to the second half, but then had a lucky escape when Lloyd Young’s header struck the post.

The decisove third goal for the hosts came in the 77th minute when Steven McNalley crossed for McIntosh to score his second of the afternoon.

In the closing stages, Montrose had another chance to extend their lead further, but McNally’s final attempt was blasted straight over the bar.

Montrose assistant manager Lee Wilkie said: “We deserved the win, but we should have had a couple of wins in the bag already.

“We lost a goal at a bad time but we showed the resilience to dig in and score a third.”

Montrose: D Crawford, McNalley, Lunan, Cambell, Ricky McIntosh, Grey, John Crawford, Masson, Young (Johnston 81), Leighton McIntosh, Gary Wood. Subs Not Used: S Wood, Winter, Maguire, Gordon.

Berwick Rangers: Bejaoui, Droudge (Jacobs 26), Brydon, Townsley, Hoskins, Notman (Ferguson 70), Addison (C Stevenson 46), Currie, McDonald, Lavery, McLaren. Subs not used: Sandison, Gielty.

Attendance: 258

Referee: Don Robertson