Berwick Rangers 5-0 East Stirlingshire

Berwick Rangers coasted to a comfortable 5-0 home win over East Stirlingshire at Shielfield after scoring four goals in the second half.

By Keith Hamblin
Sunday, 24th August 2014, 8:25 am
Colin Cameron scored his first goal for the club after Lee Currie opened the scoring with a 30-yard strike.
Colin Cameron scored his first goal for the club after Lee Currie opened the scoring with a 30-yard strike.

Lee Currie fired Rangers in front with a wonderful strike from 30 yards in the first half, but after the break player-manager Colin Cameron netted his first goal for the club and there were also counters for strikers Darren Lavery and Scott Dalziel and centre back Jonny Fairbairn (pictured inset).

Berwick saw most of the early ball and a first-time cross from Stevie Notman to the back post caused some problems in the Shire defence.

David Gold also played a good ball into the box but Paul Willis was at full stretch and unable to control it.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Berwick Rangers 2013-14 Squad

Jonny Fairbairn also found himself in a similar position, but the deadlock was broken after 33 minutes when Lee Currie lit up what until that stage had been an uninspiring game, firing home from 30 yards out with a shot which beat Richard Bernard at full stretch.

Currie initially slipped when he took the pass in a central position, but had time and space to recover with a sweet left foot finish.

Gold again caused problems at the back for the visitors when he crossed from the left, but Darren Lavery was unable to finish.

Shire’s first attempt at goal came just before half-time when a long free kick by Bernard was headed wide by Michael Bolochoweckyj.

Early in the second half Currie headed an East Stirling corner onto the face of his own crossbar.

At the other end Willis cut in from the right but his left foot shot was too high.

David McKenna got in a shot which was hit straight at Billy Bald.

Willis had the ball in the net for Berwick but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Player-manager Colin Cameron, with his first official goal for the club, made it 2-0 after 64 minutes when he took a short free kick from Currie and finished with a neat shot into the roof of the net.

And the game was made safe after 73 minutes when Darren Lavery made a strong run from the half-way line and shot low past Bernard with a left foot finish.

There was further misery for East Stirling when Michael Bolochewskyj was shown a straight red card for an elbow on Willis after 77 minutes.

And four minutes later substitute Scott Dalziel made it 4-0 with a tap-in after taking a short pass in the box from Craig Dargo on his home debut.

Fairbairn added the fifth after 87 minutes when he headed home from a Lavery corner.

Right at the death Bernard made a good one-handed save to deny Dargo with a strike from the edge of the box.

Berwick Rangers: Bald, Jacobs, Maxwell (Dalziel 67), Notman (Miller 48), Fairbairn, Hoskins, Willis, Cameron (Dargo 78), Lavery, L Currie, Gold. Subs not used: P Currie, Horribine, Andrews.

Bookings: Hoskins 43 foul.

East Stirlingshire: Bernard, Kinnaird, Shepherd, Townsley, Bolochoweckyj, MacGregor, Vidler (Shields 75), Brisbane, Wright (Greene 78), McKenna, McCabe (Doyle 75).Subs not used: Gilmour, Kay, Shaw, Greenhill

Bookings: Bolochoweckyj straight red 77 mins

Referee: Mike Taylor.

Attendance: 509.