Berwick Rangers 4-0 Clyde

editorial image

Berwick bounced back from their 2-1 defeat at Montrose in midweek to take all three points with a comfortable victory over ten-man Clyde.

The visitors started off well, but a goal from Andy Russell midway through the first period saw Rangers take control.

Lee Currie missed a penalty with the last kick of the first half, but he extended their advantage early in the second, and after the visitors had a player sent off on the hour, further goals from Paul Willis and substitute Ross Gray sealed the victory.

Clyde went on the attack from the first whistle and after only 30 seconds Kevin Watt headed over from a corner.

The visitors forced a string of corners in the early stages and after 11 minutes Watt broke down the right and cut back inside before his low shot was comfortably saved by Michael Andrews.

In the first 20 minutes Berwick, with Russell playing through the middle, seldom threatened and Watt went close again with another shot saved by Andrews.

Against the run of play, Berwick took the lead after 27 minutes when Russell turned and shot past the diving Alan Martin from 20 yards out. It was a goal out of nothing, created after Darren Lavery held up the ball, and came from Rangers’ first shot of the game.

Lavery went close to extending the lead after 34 minutes with a header from a cross on the right by Russell, but his effort was inches wide.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Berwick were presented with a great opportunity to double their advantage when Russell broke into the box and was floored by Martin, who was booked for the challenge.

Lee Currie stepped up to take the penalty, which was to be the last kick of the first half, but his effort was saved by Martin, diving to his right.

But Currie didn’t have to wait long to atone for his miss, as just 90 seconds into the second half he slotted home Berwick’s second when he met a Devon Jacobs cross a the back post.

And 90 seconds after that a stinging shot from a Currie free kick was saved by Martin in a central position.

Clyde were reduced to ten men on the hour mark when substitute Ciaran McBrearly was red carded for a foul, his second booking after being introduced as a half-time replacement.

Currie rattled the crossbar with a raking free kick from 35 yards out, and Russell was first to react, but got under the ball and headed over from close range.

A minute later Kerr Young shot wide from all of 40 yards before Paul Willis made it 3-0 after 64 minutes, turning and sending a looping shot past Martin from the edge of the box.

The icing on the cake was the fourth, scored by substitute Gray after 84 minutes when he found space at the back post following a break down the right and cross into the box. Paul Currie first time shot was blocked and as it fell to Gray he stroked it into the net from 12 yards out.

Berwick: Andrews, Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, Hoskins, Notman, Willis, L Currie (Maxwell 73), Gold (P Currie 68), Russell, Lavery (Gray 78).

Clyde: Martin, Durie, McIlduff (Daly 65), Halkett, Marsh, I Gray, D Gray (McBrearly 46), O’Donnell, McManus, Smith, Watt (S Ferguson 65).

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Attendance: 406.