Berwick Rangers 3-3 Montrose

editorial image

Berwick and Montrose took a point apiece from a tense encounter when they shared six goals at Shielfield.

Rangers, after losing the first goal, led twice at 2-1 and 3-2 with Paul Willis netting twice, but the visitors escaped with a point with Marvyn Andrews bagging a 90th minute equaliser.

Andy Russell also scored for Rangers, who led 2-1 at half-time, but despite most of the possession the home side failed to see off the opposition.

After Gary Wood added his side’s second to Scott Johnston’s opener, Andrews headed in the winner in a dramatic final couple of minutes, which also saw Berwick reduced to ten men with central defender Kerr Young sent off for a second bookable offence.

The game had been in some doubt and only went ahead after two pitch inspections in the morning.

Rangers, who had won their first two games of 2015, were looking to make it three in a row to cement fourth position in the race for the play-offs, and for the fourth game in succession they fielded an unchanged side.

After just a minute’s play Andy Russell had a great chance when he was put through, but his left-foot shot was saved by keeper Stuart McKenzie, who rushed off his line to narrow the angle.

Darren Lavery burst through on a long ball to the edge of the box, but again McKenzie rushed off his line to make the save.

As Berwick made the early running Paul Willis burst through but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Berwick keeper Billy Bald had to receive treatment for a knock, but sfter 25 minutes the best chance of the opening period fell to Stevie Notman, whose first time shot from a Scott Maxwell cut-back was hit into the side netting.

A minute later Lavery cut inside from the right but his left-foot shot was hit straight at McKenzie, but against the run of p,ay Montrose took the lead after 30 minutes when Scott Johnston raced through, despite appeals for offside, and shot low past Bald.

Rangers went straight up the other end and Lee Currie saw McKenzie make another save with a shot from the edge of the box.

Ross McCord went close with a free kick for Montrose which hit the back frame of the goal, but Berwick deservedly equalised after 38 minutes when Russell fired home from close range, pouncing on the loose ball after McKenzie had made a good save from a close-range header from Lavery.

McKenzie made another fine shot to deny Ross Drummond with a strong shot, but Berwick hit the front in first half stoppage time when Paul Willis rifled home from the right side of the box.

In the second half Russell cut in from the right and fired low, but wide of the target and Currie shot over after being set up by Lavery.

But it was Montrose who drew level after 59 minutes when Wood controlled the ball well from a cross on the right, turned his marker and and with a composed finish shot low into the bottom corner past Bald.

Willis turned his marker and shot narrowly over for Berwick and Currie also went close from a short corner.

Rangers took the lead at 3-2 when Willis netted from the penalty spot after 84 minutes after Andrews handled in the box.

But Young was then sent off for a second bookable offence in 89 minutes before the visitors snatched a dramatic late equaliser with Andrews heading home from a long cross on the right.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, Drummond, Notman, Willis, Currie, Maxwell (Gray 72), Russell (Dargo 72), Lavery (Henderson 79).

Montrose: McKenzie, Crawford, Graham, Harwood, Andrews, Masson (O’Neil 46), Webster, McCord (Cavanagh 89), Wood, Johnston, Deasley.

Referee: Gavin Duncan.

Attendance: 423.