Berwick Rangers 3-1 Culter

editorial image

Berwick safely made it through to the fourth round of the Scottish Cup when they beat Highland Junior side Culter at the second attempt at Shielfield on Saturday.

The teams had drawn 1-1 in the original game at Culter last Saturday and a replay was needed to settle the tie, the winners going on to face Dumbarton in a home tie in the next round.

Rangers progressed with a goal in the first half and two in the second, but they had to survive a late scare when the visitors pulled one back from the penalty spot just seconds after being reduced to ten men.

Jamie McAllister saw red after being shown two yellow cards in a minute. Culter were 2-0 down at the time, Berwick having gained the upper hand with goals from Kenny O’Brien and Scott Dalziel.

Alan Youngson rammed home the spot kick after Michael Taylor was pushed in the box, but on 85 minutes Darren Lavery put the game beyond doubt when he latched onto a Ross Gray through ball and finished well.

Berwick were forced to draft in their former keeper, Gary O’Connor between the posts with regular stopper Paul Grant cup-tied and his replacement Billy Bald injured.

In the first half Berwick had the majority of the play but in the early stages they failed to put any pressure on the Culter goal.

The breakthrough came after 17 minutes when Lee Currie played an inswinging corner from the right and Kenny O’Brien got a touch in the box to send the ball past keeper Neil Duffy.

Fullback Dean Hoskins also had the ball in the net after half an hour,controlling a long ball from Steven Notman before shooting home, but he was adjudged offside.

As Berwick went in search of a second, O’Brien chased a ball into the box but lifted it over the advancing Duffy and wide of the target.

Striker Darren Lavery also had two chances.

He broke through down the middle, beat one defender, but was dispossessed as he tried to cut the ball back going past another.

And he steered a header wide when he pulled the ball back across the face of the goal from a cross to the far post.

Dalziel added Berwick’s second after 50 minutes when he fired home the rebound after his original show came back off a post.

In the closing minutes Culter keeper Duffy had to make three fine saves to deny Berwick as they finshed with a flourish.

Berwick:O’Connor, Jacobs, Hoskins, Dunlop, Tulloch, Janczyk (Gielty 70), Currie, Notman, Dalziel (Carse 78), Lavery, O’Brien (Gray 61).

Subs: Gielty, Carse, Gray, Morris, Beveridge, Miller.

Bookings: Tulloch 51 dissent; Jacobs 58 foul;

Culter:Duffy, Sim, Robertson, Reid, Kelly, Rintoul (McArthur 78), Greig (MTaylor 65), Youngson, McAllister, McBain, Leith.

Subs: Rattray, McArthur, M Taylor, Benton, Crisp, Berton, S Taylor, Donald

Bookings: McAllister 81 foul sent off 81 for dissent; Reid 87

Referee: Gavin Ross.

Attendance: 411.