Berwick Rangers 3-1 Albion Rovers

editorial image

Berwick coasted to a comfortable win over play-off rivals Albion Rovers, with a comprehensive victory at Shielfield.

Rangers controlled the match almost from start to finish, and after two first half goals from Paul Currie and and own goal, Scott Dalziel added a third early in the second half’.

Rovers’ substitute Ryan Donnelly gave the visitors some hope when he pulled a goal back, but Berwick held out for a welcome three points, which keeps them in the hunt for a top four finish.

Berwick, who had already beaten Rovers three times already this season, took the lead after only three minutes when Paul Currie fired a low shot past Neil Parry.

Minutes later fullback Ross Drummond rode two tackles but his shot from the left side of the box was well saved by the keeper.

Parry also had to make a brilliant save from a Darren Lavery header at close range following an inch perfect cross from the right. And as Berwick continued to apply the pressure Paul Currie flashed a shot inches wide after 19 minutes.

A Lee Currie free kick was hit straight at Parry, but Rangers deservedly doubled their lead after 32 minutes when a Colin Cameron free kick was flicked into the net in a crowded goalmouth. Initial reports suggested Ross Gray may have got a touch, but later Cameron said he thought it was one of the defenders who had the final touch.

“It definitely wasn’t Ross,” he said. “He’s only 5’3”, but if the goal panel want to award it to me instead I’ll gladly accept it.”

It took Albion 40 minutes before they registered their first shot at goal, with Liam Cusack’s effort from distance sailing high over the top.

The visitors made two changes at half-time, but it was Berwick who made the better start with Gray’s cut-back across the goal finding no takers.

But it was soon 3-0 when Lavery then dispossessed Gary Phillips on the edge of the box and squared the ball to Dalziel, who had the simplest of tasks of tapping in from only two yards out.

Just a minute later Albion substitute Pat Walker somehow managed to miss the goal from inside the six yard box when his first tome effort went over the bar.

Albion pulled a goal back after 60 minutes when another replacement, Ryan Donnelly shot low into the bottom corner after a period of pressure.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs, Drummond, Cameron, Fairbairn, Tulloch, Gray (Carse 83), L Currie, Dalziel, (Russell 73), P Currie, Lavery.

Albion: Parry, Reid, R Dunlop 6, Russell (R Donnelly 46), C Donnelly, M Dunlop, Cusack (Flood 86), Chaplain, McGuigan, Crawford (Walker 46), Phillips.

Referee: Alan Newlands

Attendance: 471.