Berwick Rangers 2-3 Elgin City

Devon Jacobs pushes forward for Berwick against Elgin
Devon Jacobs pushes forward for Berwick against Elgin

The curse of the manager of the month award struck again when Colin Cameron saw his side fall to their first defeat under his charge.

Cameron was named the manager of the month for January earlier in the week, but despite twice coming from behind, his side went down 3-2 at home to Elgin.

The visitors twice scored from the penalty spot and also found the net just 30 seconds into the second half.

Rangers meanwhile, hit the woodwork twice, but Cameron knew it wasn’t going to be their day when he was forced to leave the field with a thigh injury and was also booked for dissent . . . in the dugout.

In an uneventful opening both sides probed, but without testing the defences or either goalkeeper.

The first meaningful shot came after 25 minutes when Lee Currie saw a free kick scrambled away by goalkeeper Raymond Jellema.

Cameron was forced to leave the field after 28 minutes, when he felt his hamstring starting to tighten, and within a minute Elgin took the lead when Gunn fired them in front from the penalty spot after Steven Notman was penalised for hand ball in the box, the ball having been hit straight at him from only three yards.

As Berwick tried to lift themselves, Darren Lavery blasted over after the ball was played into his path.

Berwick had two first half penalty claims of their own, but both were turned aside by referee Gavin Duncan.

The equaliser came after 41 minutes when skipper Lee Currie pinged in a 30 yard left foot shot which beat Jellema in the top corner, making it 1-1 at half-time.

Just 30 seconds into the second half Elgin took the lead when Devon Jacobs lost possession on the Rangers’ left and a cross into the box was turned in from close range with a stooping header from Dennis Wyness.

Jonny Fairbairn was then forced to clear a ball off the line at the visitors upped the tempo

As Berwick tried to respond Scott Dalziel was unlucky to see a chip shot from the left bounce back off the face of the crossbar before the rebound was blasted over.

Lee Currie then surged forward, but Jellema held his shot from the edge of the box, and the longer the game went on, the more obvious it became that Rangers were missing the influence of Cameron in the middle of the park.

Another effort from Lee Currie was deflected over for a corner, before his corner was forced home from close range by central defender Jonny Fairbairn in a crowded goalmouth after 75 minutes.

Shane Sutherland might have put Elgin back in front but Michael Andrews made a good save.

Cameron, in the dugout, was then booked for dissent and Elgin delivered the killer blow in 85 minutes when Mark Nicholson netted from the penalty spot after goalkeeper Michael Andrews brought down Shane Sutherland almost on the bye-line.

Right at the death Lee Currie turned and struck a sweet shot against the post, but Rangers couldn’t find a way through and new Elgin manager Barry Wilson was able to celebrate his first victory in charge of the Highland team.

Berwick: Andrews, Notman, Jacobs, Cameron (Miller 28), Fairbairn , Hoskins, Gray, O’Brien 50), L Currie, Dalziel (Morris 79), P Currie, Lavery 7.

Elgin: Jellema, Beveridge, Finlayson, Crighton, Duff, Nicholson, Gunn, ((Urquhart 83), Harkins (McDonald 64), Wyness, Sutherland, McKenzie.

Referee: Gavin Duncan.

Attendance: 412