Berwick Rangers 2-2 Montrose

editorial image

Berwick saw another two points slip from their grasp when Montrose snatched a dramatic injury time equaliser at Shielfield on Tuesday.

Rangers, with goals from Darren Lavery and Ross Gray, coasted into a comfortable 2-0 first half lead, but a mistake by central defender Stephen Tulloch let Montrose in to pull a goal back on the stroke of half-time.

It looked as if Colin Cameron’s side were going to hang on for a 2-1 victory, but four minutes into injury time, and with almost the last kick of the game, the visitors grabbed a share of the spoils.

Cameron was naturally disappointed afterwards when he said: “We were in control at 2-0 but a mistake let them back in. We were then hanging on at the end. It’s another two points lost, but it was our own fault.”

This was a game re-arranged from Saturday as Montrose were paying a Scottish Cup replay against Arbroath.

There was little between the sides in the early stages with a training ground corner routine seeing Montrose go close before Dean Hoskins fired wide from distance at the other end.

The breakthrough came after 13 minutes for Berwick, following a good four-man move which culminated in Gray slipping the ball across the penalty area for Lavery to net from close range.

A minute later Lavery blasted over from the right edge of the box.

Berwick extended their lead after 28 minutes when Paul Currie squared the ball across the box to Gray, who turned and shot low past Stuart McKenzie from 16 yards out.

Rangers looked as if they were going to take a 2-0 lead into the break, but right on the stroke of half-time,Tulloch made a poor passback and Leighton McIntosh capitalised by composing himself with a low shot past goalkeeper Michael Andrews, who had already committed himself.

At the start of the second half David Gold headed onto the roof of the net for Berwick, whilst Andrews made a good save from distance by Watson.

Lee Currie fired wide from a free kick just outside the box and he also shot wide from a corner.

Substitute Paul Willis then lifted the ball over the Montrose goal under pressure from a defender as Berwick went in search of a third.

Gold also pulled a shot wide as Berwick made most of the running and a Lee Currie snap shot was blocked by McKenzie.

Berwick tried to play out time, but not for the first tome this season they surrendered a winning position late in the game when Montrose scored a dramatic injury time equaliser.

From a throw-in on the right the ball was played across field and Watson fired a low shot past Andrews. The keeper managed to get a hand to the ball but it rolled into the empty net and the feeling of disappointment amongst the Berwick players and supporters was palpable.

Afterwards Cameron said: “2-0 up at home we should have put the match to bed. I still believe in the players, but we must start putting other teams to the sword.

“Once again we have let a winning position slip from our grasp, and it is disappointing to say the least.”

Montrose manager George Shields said: “ I can’t believe what has just happened. That was our worst performance of the season and Berwick must have thought they had the game won.