Berwick Rangers 2-0 Annan Athletic

editorial image

Goals by leading scorer Darren Lavery and Lee Currie fired Berwick up the league table with a victory over Annan at Shielfield on Saturday.

It was only Rangers’ second home league win of the season, but catapulted them up to fourth place in Scottish Division Two, leapfrogging their opponents in the process.

Lavery struck after 62 minutes for his eighth goal in eight games, whilst Currie added the second just three minutes from the end of normal time.

Ater the previous week’s disappointing 3-2 home defeat at the hands of East Fife, manager Colin Cameron rang the changes with Michael Andrews returning in goal, to replace Billy Bald and recalls for Devon Jacobs and Jonny Fairbairn at the expense of Ross Gray and Paul Currie.

Berwick created the first opening after only four minutes when Lavery cut back onto his left foot and his low shot from the edge of the area brought a diving save from Alex Mitchell, full stretch to his left.

After 14 minutes Dean Hoskins, playing at fullback, went close with a shot from distance.

After heavy rain in the days leading up to the match, the pitch was wet and the surface was slippery, but both sides stuck to their task of trying to pass the ball around.

Berwick had the ball in the net after 33 minutes when Jacobs crossed first time from the right and Lavery headed past the keeper, but the assistant’s flag was raised for offside.

At the other end Steven Logan flashed a left foot shot over from the edge of the box,but this was Annan’s only clear chance of the half, and right on the stroke of half-time, Paul Willis saw the visiting keeper Mitchell claw away a header which looked destined for the top corner.

At the start of the second half Ross Drummond got a shot in on goal, but it was lacking in power.

A free kick from David Hopkirk had Andrews scrambling to save low on his line, whilst at the other end a header from Hoskins brought out a good full stretch save from Mitchell.

Dargo had more of an influence on the game after the break and it was his clever pass through to Lavery which set up the opening goal.

Lavery burst through one on one with the keeper and coolly slotted home for his eighth goal in eight games, and his tenth of the season. The strike came just seconds after the striker scuffed a chance in front of goal.

As Berwick went in search of a second goal to try and kill off the visitors, Willis then went on a good run but his shot was parried away by Mitchell.

Willis also shot high after another good move, but Rangers finally put the game to bed in the 87th minute when Currie struck a low left foot drive through a crowd of players after Ross Drummond created the opening, cutting in from the left, his cleared cross finding the midfielder unmarked just outside the box.

Berwick: Andrews, Jacobs, Young, Fairbairn, Hoskins, Willis, Notman, L Currie, Drummond, Dargo (Gold 84), Lavery (Dalziel 80).

Annan: Mitchell, Black, Chisholm, McNiff, Watson, Sloan (Brannan 69), Flynn (Davidson 80), Logan (McStay 80), Weatherston, Hopkirk, Todd

Referee: Nick Walsh.

Attendance: 412.