Berwick Rangers 1-3 Peterhead

Action from Berwick Rangers v Peterhead at Shielfield. Pictures by Zoltan Simonffy
Action from Berwick Rangers v Peterhead at Shielfield. Pictures by Zoltan Simonffy

Two goals from leading scorer Rory McAllister helped top of the table Peterhead to a 3-1 away win over Berwick which stretched their unbeaten run to eight games.

McAllister, who scored a hat-trick against Stirling Albion last week, netted early in the first half before Stevie Notman equalised for Rangers just before half-time.

But McAllister converted with a well struck free kick in the second half before a third from Dean Cowie made the game safe.

Boosted by the offer of free admission -the game was sponsored by the Berwick Supporters’ Trust - the match attracted a gate of 778, which was almost double the recent average.

Peterhead got off to the best possible start with McAllisrer giving them the lead in five minutes. A Steven Noble corner from the right was headed back and when the cross came in for the second time the striker headed down into the ground and into the net past keeper Billy Bald.

McAllister then dinked one over the top when he broke clear, whilst at the other end Graeme Smith had to go full stretch to deny Scott Dalziel with a one-handed save from a header following a cross by Devon Jacobs.

Smith also had to be alert to deny a shot by Darren Lavery and another header by Dalziel, both of which were grasped on the line.

After 37 minutes Bald made a fine save with his feet from a close range effort by Andy Rodgers, but Berwick deservedly hauled themselves level just two minutes before half-time when Notman rammed the ball home from inside the box after a long throw on the right was headed on to him by Dalziel.

At the start of the second half Berwick pressed for a second goal and Smith had to punch clear from a low driven free kick across the face of his goal.

But it was the visitors who got their noses back in front when McAllister found the bottom corner of the net with a sweetly struck free kick from 22 yards out.

Berwick had a great chance to equalise after 74 minutes when Kenny O’Brien crossed from the left -Ross Gray slid in, but from six yards out his effort bounced off the crossbar into the hands of Smith.

A minute later Peterhead made the game safe when Dean Cowie took advantage of a weak defensive header to ram a low shot past Bald into the bottom corner.

Almost right at the end, McAllister brought out another good save from Bald, who turned his shot away for a corner.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs, Gielty, Dunlop, Hoskins, Currie, O’Brien, Notman, Dalziel, Lavery (Carse 88), Gray (Morris 80).

Subs: Fairbairn, Morris, Miller, Ronald, Carse, Grant.

Bookings: Gielty 84 foul;

Peterhead:Smith, McCann, Noble, Donaldson, Ross, Cowie, Rodgers (McLaren 64), Redman, McAllister, Gilfillan (Brown 77), Strachan.

Subs: Jamie, Brown, McLaren, McGlinchey, Buchan.

Bookings: Ross 40 foul; Cowie 84 foul;

Referee: don Robertson.

Att: 778.