Berwick Rangers 1-2 Dunfermline

editorial image

Dunfermline took the honours with a 2-1 victory in a keenly contested friendly at Shielfield.

A first half goal by Shaun Byrne, and an early second half strike by Michael Moffat saw The Pars leave with the win, Berwick’s consolation goal coming from new signing Scott Maxwell, who equalised in the first half with his first counter for the club.

But afterwards all thoughts were with Berwick’s Ross Gray, who was stretchered from the pitch with a leg injury, just six minutes after being introduced as a second half substitute.

Indications are he now faces a six to eight week lay-off after initial reported revealed he had damaged the medial ligaments in his right knee.

Berwick included three new signings in their line-up - David Gold, Scott Maxwell and Paul Willis, with another, Ewan Bauld on the bench.

Willis made a good run into the left channel and pulled a shot wide after 11 minutes.

But it was Dunfermline who made the breakthrough after 13 minutes when Ross Drummond, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Shielfield, danced his way past three Berwick defenders before pulling the ball back for Shaun Byrne to tap in past Billy Bald.

Three minutes later Willis shot inches wide as Rangers tried to respond, but after 25 minutes they drew level when Willis played a one-two on the left and squared for Maxwell to score his first goal for the club with a low shot past Ryan Scully.

After 37 minutes Byrne burst through but his shot from 20 yards out was always going high.

Right on the stroke of half-time Jonny Fairbairn headed over from a corner.

The Pars made a good start to the second half with centre forward Michael Moffat tapping in from close range after 47 minutes.

Both teams made a series of substitutes at half-time, and one of them, Berwick’s Ross Gray, was only on the pitch for six minutes before he was stretchered off with an injury to his right leg.

Player-manager Colin Cameron was shown a yellow card in the dug-out for comments made during the incident.

Lee Currie saw a free kick safely collected by Scully, whilst at the other end Bald made a good save, palming away a shot from Ken Young.

Scott Dalziel made a good interception and his cross found Dean Carse, but his effort was deflected for a corner.

As the game opened up, Bald saved again as Dunfermline broke through the middle whilst Berwick broke on the counter attack but Carse saw his effort blocked at close range.

During the second half the visitors made nine changes, Berwick five.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs, Hoskins, Cameron, Fairbairn, Tulloch, Willis, Gold, Rissell, Dalziel, Maxwell

Subs: L Currie, P Currie, Gray, Andrews, Carse, Bauld

Dunfermline:Scully, Williamson, Drummond, Page, Buchanan, Martin, Wallace, Bryne, Moffat, Thomson, Stirling.

Subs: Geggan, Falkingham, Young, Whittle, Miller, Forbes, Goodfellow.

Referee: Mike Taylor

Attendance: 349