Berwick Rangers 1-0 Queen’s Park

Berwick Rangers right-back Devon Jacobs fends off a Queen's Park opponent. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy
Berwick Rangers right-back Devon Jacobs fends off a Queen's Park opponent. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy

Berwick bounced back to winning ways and maintained new manager Colin Cameron’s unbeaten start to his reign at Shielfield.

Striker Darren Lavery emerged the match-winner, scoring the only goal of the game in the 75th minute.

Both clubs have appointed new managers in recent weeks, but on this occasion it was Cameron who was the happier, making it three wins and a draw in his four matches in charge.

Queen’s Park arrived at Shielfield having lost twice 4-0 to Rangers this season, but the basement club looked much better value this time around.

In the first half, after early Berwick pressure Paul Currie went close with a free kick after Ross Fisher was booked for a foul on Darren Lavery.

Michael Andrews made a good save when he rushed off his line to block the breaking Blair Spittal.

Damien Gielty fired a low shot wide from distance and seconds later Lavery cut inside before bringing out a good save from Lucas Birnstingl at full stretch.

A slip by Dean Hoskins let Queen’s Park in for a chance on the break, but they were unable to find a way through the packed home defence.

Just before half-time a Lee Currie corner was cleared off the line, and from the rebound, Paul Currie’s first-time shot was deflected wide.

At the start of the second half Paul Currie tried his luck from outside the box, but play became scrappy and it wasn’t until the 63rd minute that Ross Gray brought out a great one-handed save from Birnstingl with a shot from 20 yards out.

A minute later a Lee Currie shot from the left hit the outside of the post as Berwick raised the tempo.

The breakthrough came after 75 minutes when Hoskins played in Gray and his run and ball into the six yard box was met first time by Lavery, who found the net from close range.

Late in the game Hoskins might have capped the victory with a second goal, but he somehow steered the ball wide from only six yards out with just the keeper to beat.

Berwick Rangers: Andrews, Jacobs, Fairbairn, Hoskins, Gielty, Cameron (O’Brien 72), Gray, (Downie 80), P Currie, L Currie, Dalziel, Lavery (Morris 87).

Queen’s Park: Birnstingl, Gallacher , Mosson (Collins 46) , Fisher, Gibso, Baty, McVey (Burns 57), Keenan, Quinn (Gormley 78), Spittal, Coll.

Referee: Kevin Graham.

Attendance: 443.