Berwick Rangers 0-4 Hibernian

editorial image

Berwick played their first home pre-season friendly at Shielfield on Saturday when they lost 4-0 to Hibernian.

A goal from a trialist after 17 minutes separated the sides at the break, Hibs going on to wrap up the victory with a second half penalty from Liam Craig and two late strikes from substitutes Tom Gardner and Lewis Allan.

Berwick were boosted just hours before kick-off when last year’s captain, and leading scorer, Lee Currie signed a new one year contract.

Currie, who started his career with Hibs, had expressed a wish to go full-time and had been training pre-season with Hearts.

Hibs made the brighter start and enjoyed their fair share of possession and with quarter of an hour gone they created the first real chance when Paul Hanlon got in behind the Berwick defence on the left, and cut the ball back for Lewis Stevenson, whose effort was blocked by Stephen Tulloch.

The visitors opened the scoring after 17 minutes when their trialist rightback made what looked like a two-footed interception on the right and found the net with a 25 yard strike past Billy Bald.

Berwick relied on the break, and Andy Russell shot over after an effort by fellow striker Dean Carse was blocked by Kleton Permitreou.

Moments later ex-Hibee David Gold had a shot inadvertently blocked on the line by one of his own players, Carse.

In the second half Berwick replaced Bald with Michael Andrews, and after 59 minutes the Rangers’ stopper was lucky to stay on the park when he felled Max Todd in the box and Craig slotted home from the penalty spot to double the Edinburgh side’s advantage.

As is the nature of pre-season friendlies, the game was littered with second half substitutions, Berwick making seven changes, Hibernian ten.

After 73 minutes Berwick pushed forward but Paul Currie saw his shot drift high and wide, but the visitors made the game safe when they added a third after 82 minutes, substitute Tom Gardner side-footing the ball home at the back post after Todd crossed left-footed from the right.

And after 86 minutes it was 4-0 when Lewis Allan found the net from close in following a mix-up at the back, just seconds after Aaron Dunsmore had the ball in the net but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Allan then dragged another shot wide in the closing minutes as the visitors finished with a flourish.

Berwick: Bald, Jacobs, Hoskins, L Currie, Fairbairn, Tulloch, Willis (T), P Currie, Rissell, Carse, Gold.

Subs: Miler, Gray, Dunn (T), Andrews, Doyle (T), Horrodine (T), McKenzie (T).

Hibernian: Permitreou, Gray (T), Stevenson, Hanlon, Nelson, Craig, Todd, Robertson, Commings, Handling, Stanton.

Subs: Trialist, Gardiner, Forster, Booth, Jones, Dunsmore, Brennan, Martin, Allan, McCaffrey.

Referee: Brian Colvin

Att: 1556