Berwick Rangers 0-1 Clyde

Berwick Rangers v Clyde. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy
Berwick Rangers v Clyde. Picture by Zoltan Simonffy

Clyde completed a classic smash and grab raid at Shielfield as they beat Berwick Rangers for the second time this season.

Clyde had beaten Berwick 1-0 on the opening day of the season and Rangers were out for revenge, but after a goalless first half in which they enjoyed the lion’s share of the play, they let the visitors in for the only goal of the game at the start of the second.



Just seconds after Darren Lavery shot wide at one end, a long throw from John Sweeney on the left was met with a looping header by Ryan Frances in the packed goalmouth and the ball found its way into the top corner of the net after 46 minutes.

Clyde were then reduced to ten men after 56 minutes when Iain Gray was sent off for a dangerous tackle on Darren Lavery in the middle of the pitch.

In the ensuing melee two players were booked by referee Colin Stevens.

Berwick responded with Damien Gielty somehow heading over from inside the box with the net at his mercy.

Substitute Ross Gray shot straight at Barclay after good work by Lavery and then Kenny O’Brien hit the post with a low shot from inside the box. O’Brien was also denied by a superb close range save from former Berwick keeper Barclay.

At the other end Stuart McColm pulled a shot inches wide, but Clyde were rarely seen in the Berwick half of the field as Rangers lay siege on the away goal.

They created a string of chances but no matter how hard they tried the ball would just not go in the net, meaning Berwick have now lost their last three league games and have taken only one point from their last possible 12.

In the first half Berwick totally dominated play with Lee Currie and Neil Janczyk controlling the midfield. Janczyk saw a lot of the ball and played a good holding role in front of the back four, whilst Currie, as is his style, sprayed the ball all over the park.

Stevie Notman managed to get in three shots, two of which he pulled wide, the other was grasped by Barclay.

Scott Dalziel also got up well for a header from a Gielty cross to the back post, but he was unlucky to see the ball come back off the woodwork.

A minute later Gielty fired across the face of the goal from the left, but no one was there to get a touch.

Barclay also raced off his line to thwart the advancing O’Brien as he burst into the penalty area.

Clyde were rarely seen as an attacking force, trying to hit Berwick on the counter-attack and their only shot came in the 44th minute when full back Gavin Brown blasted well over from outside the box.

Berwick: Grant, Jacobs, Gielty, Dunlop (Morris 86),, Hoskins, Janczyk, Currie, Notman (Gray 70), Dalziel, Lavery, O’Brien (Ronald 88).

Clyde: Barclay, Brown, McDonald, Gray, Marsh, France (McQueen 61), Capuano, Sweeney, Watt (Daly 68), Scullion, McColm (McCluskey 82).

Referee: Colin Steven.

Attendance: 472.