Berwick finish off pre-season with narrow defeat

editorial image

BERWICK RANGERS 1-2 DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC: Berwick can look forward to their first competitive game of the season this weekend with confidence after a decent performance in their final friendly against Dunfermline at Shielfield.

John Ferguson slotted home from close range to put the home team in front after only three minutes.

But the First Division side, managed by former Berwick boss Jim Jefferies, came back to record a narrow victory.

The equaliser came from Andy Kirk’s penalty in the 20th minute, but Berwick goalkeeper Youssef Bejaoui then saved another spot kick before Andy Barrowman grabbed the winner for the visitors seven minutes from time.

Dunfermline may have had seven trialists in their squad, but Berwick manager Ian Little can be pleased with the performance of his new-look team against a team relegated from the SPL at the end of last season.

Rangers got off to a flying start when a miscued clearance in the centre of the Pars box enabled McLaren to break in on the right side and fire the ball across goal for Ferguson to turn the ball in at the far post from close range.

The equaliser came when Kirk’s header from a corner was kept out by the hand of Berwick trialist Devon Jacobs. Kirk grabbed the opportunity and stuck the ball away from the penalty spot with no hesitation.

Neil Janczyk almost restored the home team’s lead, but his shot from an acute angle on the right was well saved by the trialist from Slovakia in the Dunfermline goal.

Bejaoui made two good saves to deny Pars striker Ryan Wallace, and at the other end Berwick defender Andy McLean had his headed attempt cleared off the line.

In the second minute of the second half Wallace released a shot that Bejaoui could only parry and as the ball broke to Kirk at the right post he was bundled over by new Berwick left-back Dean Hoskins and another penalty was awarded. Kirk again took responsibility, but sent the ball right as he did with his first success and this time Bejaoui kept the ball out with the help of his left-hand post.

McLaren was unlucky to see his header go over the bar from eight yards before Kirk missed a sitter at the other end, heading over when it looked easier to score.

It was a through ball down the right from Paul Burns, headed on by Trialist that put Barrowman in to rifle home the winner.

Berwick nearly snatch a draw, however, when McLaren found space on the right before crashing the ball into the near post. Remarkably, Berwick’s trialist met the rebound but sent his attempt over the bar from eight yards.


Berwick Rangers: Yousseff Bejaoui (Grant Sandison 85), Devon Jacobs, Dean Hoskins (Ben Miller 65), Andy McLean, Dougie Brydon, Damien Geilty, Fraser McLaren, Neil Janczyk, John Ferguson (Craig Stevenson 69), Darren Lavery (Trialist 65), Kevin McDonald (Lee Currie HT). Sub not used: Philip Addison.