Annan Athletic 2-0 Berwick Rangers

editorial image

Two goals in the space of three second half minutes killed off Berwick’s challenge at Galabank.

Rangers went into the game looking for a victory to maintain their presence amongst the leading sides in the Scottish Second Division, whilst Annan were searching for their first victory of the season.

The visitors dominated for long periods and created a string of chances, but a failure to take any of them cost them dearly as goals by Stuart McColm and Kenneth MacKay saw Colin Cameron’s side leave with nothing to show for their efforts.

Berwick, with key midfielder Lee Currie suspended, rang the changes with first team regulars Devon Jacobs and Jonny Fairbairn on the bench.

David Gold had two early attempts for Berwick saved by goalkeeper Mitchell.

Striker Darren Lavery also had a shot saved by Mitchell, whilst Dean Hoskins pulled an effort wide as Rangers made all the early running.

It took Annan 23 minutes to register their first shot at goal when David Hopkirk fired over, but it was Berwick who were in the ascendancy and Paul Willis and Scott Dalziel also had efforts saved by Mitchell.

Hoskins then headed over before Hopkirk shot wide.

Lavery then had three efforts at goal in the build-up to the interval, but Rangers could not capitalise on any of them.

Hoskins, Gold and Stevie Notman, with a blocked effort, all got in shots as Rangers threatened to run riot, but at half-time there was still no score.

Mitchell saved from Gold again at the start of the second half, before new signing Kerr Young, on his debut, shot over the bar.

Another effort from Hoskins and two from Willis saw Berwick continue to dominate, whilst Josh Todd shot over for the home side.

But it was Annan who got the breakthrough after 63 minutes, however, when Stauart McColm shot home after being set up by Todd.

And three minutes later it was 2-0 when Kenneth MacKay headed home a Hopkirk corner from inside the six yard box.

With the home team now threatening Hopkirk, twice and MacKay went close for Annan.

Berwick tried to rally in the final minutes with Willis having a shot saved by Mitchell, but it was not their day and they left ruing their string of missed chances.

Annan: Mitchell, Black, Watson, McNiff, Chisholm, Todd (Trialist 91), Flynn, McColm (Carcary 80), McStay (Sloan 61), Hopkirk, Mackay.

Berwick: Andrews, Notman, Hoskins (Jacobs 56), Tulloch, Young, Gold, Willis, Maxwell (Dargo 69), Cameron (Fairbairn 62), Lavery, Dalziel.

Referee: Gavin Duncan

Attendance: 422.