Albion Rovers 0-3 Berwick Rangers

Berwick’s revival under new manager Colin Cameron continued on Saturday when they won their second successive game under their new boss.

By Keith Hamblin
Sunday, 26th January 2014, 10:02 am

Following on from the 4-0 home victory over Stirling Albion the previous week, Rangers won 3-0 away to Albion Rovers at Coatbridge.

Paul Currie gave Berwick an early lead, with skipper Lee Currie adding a second to put The Borderers 2-0 up within quarter of an hour.

And Lee Currie completed the afternoon’s work when he netted another from the penalty spot midway through the second half.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

The victory hauled Rangers to within three points of the play-off places, testament if proof was needed that the team is capable of a top four finish, as predicted by Cameron just days after his appointment.

Not surprisingly, Berwick fielded the same 11 players who took to the pitch against Stirling, which meant Cameron again leading by example in a holding position in the centre of midfield.

And they got off to the best possible start with Paul Currie firing them in front after only four minutes, with his second goal in successive games.

He fired a right foot shot into the top corner of the net past Neil Parry after being set up by Ross Gray.

And after 15 minutes it was 2-0 when Lee Currie beat Parry with a right foot shot after the ball was slipped to him by Darren Lavery.

Ryan Donnely pulled a shot wide for Albion after 25 minutes, but Berwick were in the ascendancy and Lavery had a shot saved by Parry before Cameron pulled a left foot effort wide.

Lee Currie also had a shot blocked, whilst at the other end Michael Andrews made a comfortable save from another shot by Ryan Donnelly.

At the start of the second half Albion made a double substitution as they attempted the stem the tide, but apart from a shot outside the area by Gary Phillips which was blocked, the home side offered little by way of a threat.

Ross Gray pulled a shot wide, and it was the wide man who was instrumental in Berwick’s third goal when he was tripped in the box after 64 minutes and Lee Currie made the game safe when he converted from the penalty spot for the third successive match.

Berwick then made changes, during which time Andrews saved from Liam Cusack.

But again the new-look Berwick back four stood firm and for the second week running they went on to keep a clean sheet.

Lee Curiie had a late dig with a shot from outside the box as he went in search of his hat-trick, but the ball was always rising.

In the final minutes Michael Dunlop also headed over, whilst substitute Kenny O’Brien shot wide.

Berwick remain in seventh place in the table, but the win lifts them onto 29 points, just three behind third placed Stirling.

Albion Rovers: Parry, 2 Reid, M Dunlop, R Dunlop, Russell, Cusack, C Donnelly (Phillips 46’), Chaplain, McGuigan, Dallas, 11 R Donnelly (Crawford 46’)

Berwick Rangers: Andrews, Notman, Dunlop, Hoskins, Jacobs, Gray (Morris 75’), Cameron (Gielty 78’), L Currie, P Currie, Lavery (O’Brien 68’), Dalziel.

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Attendance: 366.