Berwick Rangers 2-2 East Stirling

Berwick's Jordan McGregor opened the scoring in the 2-2 draw' against East Stirlingshire.
Berwick's Jordan McGregor opened the scoring in the 2-2 draw' against East Stirlingshire.

Berwick Rangers and East Stirling, the bottom two clubs in the second division, failed to make inroads on each other when they drew at Shielfield in their basement battle on Saturday.

Twice Rangers took the lead, through Jordan McGregor and Darren Lavery, but twice the visitors hit back to equalise through Neil McCabe and substitute Thomas Orr.

Two of the goals came from goalkeeping errors, with Kevin Walker and Richard Barnard both at fault, the result leaving Berwick two points clear at the foot of the table.

After their three previous home games had been postponed, this was Berwick’s first home match since mid-December, and it only went ahead after remedial work had been carried out on part of the pitch which was not draining properly.

Rangers went into the game without the suspended duo of skipper Jonny Fairbairn and vice captain Stevie Notman, and with five new faces since their last Shielfield outing in Callum Crane, Allan Walker, Jordan McGregor, Dylan Stevenson and Sandy Cunningham.

Former Rangers Andy Russell, who left Berwick in January, lined up for Shire against his ex-employers.

Berwick made the best possible start to the game with three chances inside the first five minutes.

With just over two minutes on the clock, McGregor headed the ball into the net from a Finn Graham corner to put John Coughlin’s side in front.

And as they cranked up the early pressure Shire keeper Richard Barnard made a point-blank save from Dylan Stevenson before Darren Lavery lifted the rebound over the bar. Michael McKenna then shot over from the edge of the box.

But on 16 minutes the visitors drew level when Neil McCabe tried a speculative shot from outside the box and the ball bounced in front of keeper Kevin Walker, over his body and into the net.

After 40 minutes Cunningham went close when he pulled a shot wide from the right side of the box after a good ball from McGregor but at the break it remained 1-1.

In a scrappy opening to the second half, Kristopher Faulds shot over for the visitors from the edge of the penalty area.

At the other end Allan Walker volleyed over after a good Berwick build-up before Cunningham saw a close range effort .

Berwick retook the lead after 69 minutes when keeper Bernard ran 30 yards off his line for a mis-timed clearance and Lavery returned the ball into the net from distance.

But Rangers’ celebrations were short-lived when, just a minute later, McKenna lost possession and from the resulting cross substitute Thomas Orr found the net from inside the box.

Rangers had most of the play in the closing stages, but could not find a way through the Shire defence, whilst the visitors broke out on a couple of occasions and went close to adding to the Borderers frustration.