Battling Eyemouth take a point from Gala visitors


Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 11:14 am
Eyemouth Amateurs v Gala Hotspur in the BAL

Eyemouth were looking to make it back to back wins in the league on Saturday against Gala Hotspur.

Both teams started well with either team having chances but Eyemouth took the lead after a through ball from Tom Ireland played Andrew Sword through who chipped the keeper.

Eyemouth’s lead was short lived when Gala pulled one back immediately.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Eyemouth’s second goal came on the 65th minute when captain Michael Gillen burst into the box and slotted the ball home from a tight angle.

Gillen nearly scored his second when he volleyed a Mark Brown cross straight at the Gala keeper from close range. Gala Hotspur goal came 10mins from time when a injured Eyemouth player kept a Hotspur striker onside who finished well.

Both teams could have snatched victory at the end when a Lee Crawford header hit the bar and Eyemouth keeper Keith Hood produced a great save to deny Hotspur.



Chirnside secured a hard fought three points with victory over Stow at Comrades Park on Saturday.

The home team could not have asked for a better start and were 2-0 up after ten minutes. The first goal arrived when Blaikie closed down the centre half and squared the ball for Logie to tap home. Blaikie was on hand again to set up number two. This time Bolton played a one two with the big striker before slotting the ball past the Stow keeper.

With Chirnside in control and it was against the run of play when the visitors pulled one back. A corner was swung in and was met with a header which looped into the back of the net.

After that goal Stow came more into the game and Todd made some decent saves to preserve his sides lead. But there was nothing he could do to prevent a shot from the edge of the box from Jordan Steele.

In the second half Steele slammed the ball home for his second of the day. Chirnside hit back almost immediately when Windram slid an inch perfect through ball to Armstrong who shot home first time.

With 20 minutes left both teams were reduced to ten men. A two footed lunge on Chirnside captain Young by a Stow midfielder ended up with Purves pushing the player and both of them received their marching orders.

Utd got the winner with 10 minutes to go, Blaikie finishing with a right foot shot which hit the bottom corner.