Arbroath 1-2 Berwick Rangers

Goalkeeper Mark Walters who replaced the injured Kevin Walker  just two minutes into the second half.
Goalkeeper Mark Walters who replaced the injured Kevin Walker just two minutes into the second half.

Berwick manager John Coughlin praised his players for their doggedness after they came from behind to beat Arbroath at Gayfield on Saturday.

“It wasn’t the best of games, and we had to grind out a result,” said Coff.

“But the lads dug deep and got their rewards with a last minute winner.”

Rangers have now lost only one game in the last nine and as a result have climbed off the bottom of the Scottish second division to currently occupy sixth place.

In an uneventful first half the sides only registered one shot apiece at goal.

Berwick were forced to replace goalkeeper Kevin Walker with Mark Walters just two minutes into the second half after the Borderers’ stopper picked up an injury.

Again there was little by way of goalmouth action, but after 66 minutes, just three minutes after being introduced as a substitute, Kane Hester fired Arbroath in front.

Stevie Notman equalised after 79 minutes after taking a pass from Darren Lavery.

Berwick then had Callum Crane sent off after 85 minutes for a second bookable offence, and Bobby Linn tried to take advantage when he shot over from inside the box in the 89th minute for the home side.

But Rangers went upfield and Michael McKenna headed in an injury time winner from a cross by substitute Ewan McNeil.

“For a long time it looked like the game was going to end 0-0,” said Coughlin.

“When Arbroath scored we knew we faced an uphill battle, but we got ourselves level, and despite going down to ten men we still managed to have enough about us to keep our composure and snatch a late winner.

“All credit must go to the players for their resilience, because they have been fantastic over the past few weeks.”

Rangers now only have two league games remaining - home to East Fife next Saturday and away to Montrose on the final day of the season.

“We want to finish on a high,” said Coff, “but East Fife have just been confirmed as champions so that will be a difficult final home match for us, although current form suggests we should be capable of giving them a game.”

Arbroath: Fleming, Williams, Little, Munro, Lowdon, Linn, Gold (Stewart 86), Whatley, Ramsay (Hester 66), Rutherford, Reid.

Berwick Rangers: K. Walker (Walters 47), Beveridge, Fairbairn, McGregor, Martin, Crane, Graham (A. Walker 66), Notman, McKenna, Henderson, Lavery (McNeil 86).

Referee: Kevin Graham.